Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Need a little help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4

    Need a little help

    Ok so I want to start using linux.I decided I wanted to use knoppix to start off with.I am having a little trouble getting it to work.I downloaded the iso file named
    KNOPPIX_V3.8.2-2005-05-05-EN.It says its a winrar file,I leave it compressed.I am using nero version 6.I dont have a dvd burner so I am trying to use Cd-r.My problom is when I go to make a bootable data disk it says A:Unknown size.So I tryed record now.I made a data disk with nothing but KNOPPIX_V3.8.2-2005-05-05-EN on it.It put it in and restarted.Nothing, it says boot from disk after post and then just starts windows like normal.My sytem specs are:

    DFI lanparty NF3 250GB
    AMD64 3400+
    1024GB Corsair XMS
    Evaga 6800GT AGP
    80 GB HDD

    Could this be the problom???Whats going on here.I REALLY want to use linux and I just cant do it so I am going out of my mind.Please help me.Thanks....

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Need a little help

    Quote Originally Posted by elvispot
    It says its a winrar file,....
    No it doesn't. Turn that damn windows option to hide the extensions for known files types off, it never should be on. (It's under my computer -> view -> filder options _>view on my system, might be hidden elsewhere on other windows systems. You'll learn it's an ISO file, not a rar file. Basing your belief of file type on icons is likely to get you into big trouble on a Windows system (hint: I can make an exe file have any icon I want, do you want to tryst tings just becayse they have safe lloking icons???)

    Damn, I was goingh to post more, but just noticed what a lame and useless subject line you used. You're on your own.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4
    What do you mean Im on my own?Cmon please help me out.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    Start here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/ read carefually and you will find everything...

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by elvispot
    What do you mean Im on my own?Cmon please help me out.
    Search the forums Search | Profile | Private Messages | Log out (username) | Forum FAQ
    Search for winrar. You will find that many other people have experienced the same problems & they have already been asked & answered.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4
    Ok I did a little searching and I came to this http://www.rocketfodder.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/MySite/Burning_Linux_Live_CD's_With_Nero_page1.htm.Hopefu lly it works and I get linux.Thanks guy for making me do it myslef.

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by elvispot
    What do you mean Im on my own?Cmon please help me out.
    I'm glad ypu did some searching and found (or think you found) your answers. But what I mean is that you were likely able to find these answers because you found posts with meaningful subject lines. When a subject has a lame subject line that gives others who search through the subjects later for the same answers no clue as to what the post is asking, they either waste a lot of people's time or just get completely skipped over. It rather defeats the purpose of archiving them in the forum at all. I've said already that I will not be helping when the posts have lame subject lines like yours did or the recent Need Help ASAP!!! or total newb needs help. This last one, by the way, I know exactly what the user's problem is, I must have posted about it about 50 times, but I will not help someone who's subject lines are so selfish that he demands help for himself but at the same time conceals the topic from others who are willing to do the work to search the forums for the information they need.

    I would not have even responded to you at all, but I skipped past the subject, saw your problem and started writing. I only noticed the subject when I went back to grab another quote from your original text. At that point I decided to stop writing, but posted what I had already written.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4
    I undterstand.I got it working though.I dont really like linux as much as I thought I would.I will pass the cd on to peple who dont have a OS.Ill keep that subject line im mind in the future.Thanks guys for your help.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened picture

TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened

$195.00



Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP picture

Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP

$127.00



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



TP-Link Omada SG3428 24-Port Gigabit L2+ Managed Switch 4x SFP w/ Ears picture

TP-Link Omada SG3428 24-Port Gigabit L2+ Managed Switch 4x SFP w/ Ears

$99.99



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99