Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Can't boot from new hard drive

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274

    Can't boot from new hard drive

    I find myself to be quite dissatisfied with this small 3 gb harddrive, so I took a 20 gb hd that I got from someone who didn't need it, and stuck it in the hdc place (I ditched the cd-rom). I partitioned it, and used dd to put everything from the current partition (hdb1) to the new one (hdc1). Then I ran fs2resize (or something similar to that) on hdc1 to resize the thing. Then I turned off, took out the 3 gb hard drive, and put in the 20 gb hard drive. Then I booted, and it hung at the MBA screen, something to do with PXE....So I stuck the old one back in, and changed GRUB to have Linux be hd2,0 and added the root=/dev/hdc1 option. That didn't work either. So I stuck the hard drive in hdc (again ditching the cd-rom), and it made it past the bootloader, but still didn't work once it got to the kernel-panic-ness. This may be a case of a fuXxored hard drive...But what should I have in GRUB under the Linux boot option?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    ehh....sorry about the double topics....i thought i did something bad with the [/code] at the end of the first, so i stopped mid-transmission....can a mod delete the first one or something?

Similar Threads

  1. Transfer From USB boot to hard drive boot.
    By FSL in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 10:18 PM
  2. Boot without hard drive?
    By Scorpio123 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-24-2007, 08:26 PM
  3. How to boot from my Hard-drive using Knoppix v3.3?
    By frastitute in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-03-2005, 02:29 PM
  4. How to have a hard drive automounted at boot?
    By DimGR in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 05:53 AM
  5. Is is possible to boot Knoppix from a USB hard drive?
    By pkobos in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-24-2003, 09:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


G-Technology G-RAID 24TB Dual-Drive External HDD TB3 USB 3.1 7200RPM Silver picture

G-Technology G-RAID 24TB Dual-Drive External HDD TB3 USB 3.1 7200RPM Silver

$299.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.19



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Intel® Integrated RAID Mezzanine Module RMS3HC080 SAS/SATA H24093-204 picture

Intel® Integrated RAID Mezzanine Module RMS3HC080 SAS/SATA H24093-204

$24.97



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00