I did an interesting experiment. I started the remastered knoppix 3.9 fromhd using knoppix 3.8 CD. I did not have this problem at all. I was able to get to /etc folder and see all the files which I was not able to do using a knoppix 3.9 CD.
I did an interesting experiment. I started the remastered knoppix 3.9 fromhd using knoppix 3.8 CD. I did not have this problem at all. I was able to get to /etc folder and see all the files which I was not able to do using a knoppix 3.9 CD.

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5" SAS ST4000NM0025
$22.00
Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99
New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$69.00
Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99
HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00
Seagate Exos X16 16TB ST16000NM001G 7200RPM Enterprise HDD*USED GREAT CONDITION*
$319.79
HITACHI ULTRASTAR 2TB 7.2K 6G 3.5INCH SATA HDD HUS724020ALA640 | TESTED WIPED
$34.95
ST16000NM002G Seagate Exos X16 16TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 512e/4Kn 3.5” HDD
$295.00
Seagate Exos X16 ST10000NM010G 10TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e/4Kn HDD
$199.00