Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37

Thread: Knoppix v 3.9

  1. #21
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    305

    DVD version to be released

    Does anyone know the expected size of the DVD burn to be released soon?

    DVD format at present is limited to 2GB of compressed data.

    Has the new DVD release avoided the 2GB limitation?

  2. #22
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: DVD version to be released

    Quote Originally Posted by lilsirecho
    DVD format at present is limited to 2GB of compressed data.
    NO, not at all. ISO 9660, which Knoppix uses, limits any single file to 2 gig in size. But there is nothing that would stop a DVD release from having multiple compressed files, or even having a nice size compressed file and then a lot of Klik type files (which would make it very easy to add other Klik files to alternate releases).

  3. #23
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    305
    To continue on the subject:

    Klik or CMG files have limits of eight such and require fstab entries for each cramfs item.

    The original question was in regard to the expected data size of the DVD burn to be released.

    I note in passing that the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file is cloop un-compressed during the boot sequence and is found in /root/KNOPPIX.

    If the DVD were to have multiple cloop- compressed files, how would the added files be un-compressed? Would there be a KNOPPIX0,KNOPPIX1, KNOPPIX2..........?

    I have yet to be able to establish multiple compressed cloop by any method. I do have uncompressed material and CMG in a DVD which can fill out the 4.4GB burn.

    Perhaps there is a way to use multiple cloop file systems but it would certainly not be done without severe modification to the minirt file. This may severely impact the boot system which Klaus has optimized.

    The best approach as I see it is to accept the fine arrangement of KNOPPIX provided by the CD setup, add uncompressed data to the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX ( or CMG which is 16MB limited per file and seven or eight files + some uncompressed data. Then, using device mapping technique, install compressed data to the boot section and modify minirt.gz accordingly Join the two files together for a full sized DVD.

    Of course, perhaps cloop itself can be re-programmed to provide greater than 700MB of compressed data since it was designed to fill the CD to full capacity and provide KNOPPIX for slower and older machines.

    The basic question is; what size will the DVD burn be? (to be released soon). The technique is another matter

    New query: Will the DVD be available for download even though it might take days to do so?

  4. #24
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by lilsirecho
    I note in passing that the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file is cloop un-compressed during the boot sequence
    I don't see how that can be. I boot Knoppix on a 512 meg laptop with a NTFS file system that it can't writen to. The cloop file is too large to fit into RAM and uncompressed it should take about 2 gig. So I don't believe that it is uncompressed at boot time; just what you need is extracted from it as required.

  5. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3

    Install Software..where has it gone?

    I was playing around with 3.9 today and went to install fprot from the knoppix/Install Software menu, and it's not there. Is this something they got rid of in the latest release? I hope not this was an awesome feature.

  6. #26
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ca
    Posts
    305
    Harry:

    Please excuse my error in stating that the KNOPPIX file is uncompressed....it is uncompressed if it is copied...a cloop function which is implied rather than directly stated!

    I stand corrected for my oversight.

    Still desire to know the Data burn size for the new DVD KNOPPIX release.

  7. #27
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Install Software..where has it gone?

    Quote Originally Posted by xxkacklerxx
    I was playing around with 3.9 today and went to install fprot from the knoppix/Install Software menu, and it's not there. Is this something they got rid of in the latest release? I hope not this was an awesome feature.
    See "Where is the "Knoppix Live Installer" in Kno 3.8.2. Also note that with the unionFS/Debian package management bug, see http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Bugs/3.9-2005-05-27, installing packages may crash the system.

  8. #28
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    22
    is there going to be a knoppix 4.0? if there is is it going to be on dvd or a regular cd let me know

  9. #29
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicdragon14
    is there going to be a knoppix 4.0? if there is is it going to be on dvd or a regular cd let me know
    99.9% of us here are not Knoppix developers so we do not know much if anything at all about future releases. I do not know of the release date and I do not know anything more than what is listed at the bottom of the page at http://knoppix.com/. I wish I knew more but I don't.

  10. #30
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderScore
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicdragon14
    is there going to be a knoppix 4.0? if there is is it going to be on dvd or a regular cd let me know
    99.9% of us here are not Knoppix developers so we do not know much if anything at all about future releases. I do not know of the release date and I do not know anything more than what is listed at the bottom of the page at http://knoppix.com/. I wish I knew more but I don't.
    LinuxTAG is at 22 this month...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45



ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX picture

ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.99



MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard picture

MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard

$59.99



MSI MAG B560M MORTAR WIFI LGA 1200 10th/11th Intel B560 Micro ATX Motherboard picture

MSI MAG B560M MORTAR WIFI LGA 1200 10th/11th Intel B560 Micro ATX Motherboard

$119.99