Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Knoppix 3.8.2 installation and partition problems

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8

    Knoppix 3.8.2 installation and partition problems

    Hello
    i recently downloaded knoppix 3.8.2 and then i decided to instal it as dual boot with my windows xp on my hard disk.

    I downloaded flash video by iron geek to learn how to go ahead for installation and found it very helpful. I planned to instal knoppix on my first hard drive which i have divided into 3 partitions i.e C for windows XP,D for knoppix and E for my backup data.

    I deleted partitiond D with partition magic so that I can recognize it during knoppix installation.

    during the process of installing knoppix I created linux swap and root partitons with Qparted from knoppix to instal knoppix on it.

    Proceeding ahead when I started installing knoppix i saw that it would give my whole hard drive in option where to instal knoppix instead of asking about knoppix partitions i had already created.I still accepted the option to choose the whole hard disk and to my astonishment it bagan formatting my whole hard drive but i immediately canceled it.

    Now i am wondering if I had created partitions for knoppix on my D drive why won`t it pick up in the installtion process and ask me and would rather go ahead to format my whole hard drive? I was not asking it to consume my whole hard disk,rather i created partitons for it on my D drive ,then why would it try to format my whole hard disk?

    plz help me clear this confusion.

    thanks

    regards.

    lapel

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    I don't use Qparted, but I know that after makeing partition, you must use a specific command, it is Commit I think (can't reach Qtparted for the moment, must be root). Othewise your changes are not permanent and you don't have new partitions.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8
    Qparted is the only partitioning tool in knoppix ( as far as i found) and i did commit the changes and wrote them to hard disk before exiting the qparted after which i proceeded to installationz. so the confuion remains.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    First off, Linux doesn't use drive letters for partitions the way Windows does. Your first (master) hard disk (on your primary IDE interface) is known as "hda". The first (primary) partition on your first hard disk is called "hda1". The second (primary) partition on your first hard disk is "hda2". Your second (slave) hard disk is "hdb"; etc. So instead of telling us that you intended to install Knoppix on your "D" drive, please identify your partitions using Linux terminology. (Hint: You can find out how your hard drive is partitioned by running the Knoppix CD and running either QTParted or cfdisk.)

    QTParted is not the only disk formatting tool available. There is an ncurses-based disk formatting tool in Knoppix named "cfdisk". (By "ncurses-based" I mean it has a sort of graphical user interface, but it's completely text-based and you have to run it from the console.) Many consider cfdisk to be better than QTParted. I can tell you that QTParted is a bit flaky. Once after using QTParted I ended up with a hard disk partitioning scheme that went like this: hda2-hda1-hda3.

    In any case, if you want to use a graphical partition utility, and have Partition Magic, use it; it creates Linux (ext3 and swap) partitions just fine.

    So, what does QTParted tell you that your partition layout is now?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8
    WELL THANKS eco2geek.your reply solved all my problems,knoppix installation is like a breeze

    Qparted was confusing me and when you talked of Partition magic it just struck my mind to use that to create linux partitions for knoppix and I did it then.

    When I began installation I checked my partitions with Qparted and noted them down,my drive to instal knoppix was/dev/hdc5 so I went ahead to instal knoppix on it and things went smoothly. Now the only thing left is to apply apt-get update and see what`s there to get.

    I want to mention something here that irongeek has shown in his flash video of knoppix installation that linux swap is the first partition to be created while Hd Install How To notes from Knoppix says the root partitons must be the first partiton...so who is correct?
    Please comment.

    Thanks

    Regards.

    Lapel

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Great, glad you got it installed!

    Quote Originally Posted by lapel
    I want to mention something here that irongeek has shown in his flash video of knoppix installation that linux swap is the first partition to be created while Hd Install How To notes from Knoppix says the root partitons must be the first partiton...so who is correct?
    AFAIK, it doesn't matter in the least.

    (It used to matter, when using the boot loader LILO with old BIOSes, in that LILO could only access partitions that started within the first 1024 sectors of the boot drive. So you had to have the root partition first -- meaning, starting within the first 1024 sectors of the boot drive. But with newer BIOSes, and then GRUB, that is a thing of the past.)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2005, 09:11 AM
  2. Problems with Knoppix v3.3 HD Installation
    By Redux in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 08:03 AM
  3. Probleme nach installation!! - Problems after installation!!
    By Mr.Redhat in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-11-2004, 02:46 PM
  4. Knoppix Installation Problems
    By haze in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-13-2003, 07:46 AM
  5. Broken Knoppix Installation using Partition Magic
    By Tortoise in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-27-2003, 01:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos picture

128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos

$123.90



Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A picture

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A

$44.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA III SSD MZ-76E500 MZ7LH500HALU

$50.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD  picture

Kingston 128GB M.2 SATA III SSD

$13.00



Intel SSD DC S3520 Series 480GB 2.5

Intel SSD DC S3520 Series 480GB 2.5" SATA III 6Gb/s Hot Plug (SSDSC2BB480G7)

$100.00