Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Can't boot from new hard drive

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274

    Can't boot from new hard drive

    I find myself to be quite dissatisfied with this small 3 gb harddrive, so I took a 20 gb hd that I got from someone who didn't need it, and stuck it in the hdc place (I ditched the cd-rom). I partitioned it, and used dd to put everything from the current partition (hdb1) to the new one (hdc1). Then I ran fs2resize (or something similar to that) on hdc1 to resize the thing. Then I turned off, took out the 3 gb hard drive, and put in the 20 gb hard drive. Then I booted, and it hung at the MBA screen, something to do with PXE....So I stuck the old one back in, and changed GRUB to have Linux be hd2,0 and added the root=/dev/hdc1 option. That didn't work either. So I stuck the hard drive in hdc (again ditching the cd-rom), and it made it past the bootloader, but still didn't work once it got to the kernel-panic-ness. This may be a case of a fuXxored hard drive...But what should I have in GRUB under the Linux boot option?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    ehh....sorry about the double topics....i thought i did something bad with the [/code] at the end of the first, so i stopped mid-transmission....can a mod delete the first one or something?

Similar Threads

  1. Transfer From USB boot to hard drive boot.
    By FSL in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 10:18 PM
  2. Boot without hard drive?
    By Scorpio123 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-24-2007, 08:26 PM
  3. How to boot from my Hard-drive using Knoppix v3.3?
    By frastitute in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-03-2005, 02:29 PM
  4. How to have a hard drive automounted at boot?
    By DimGR in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 05:53 AM
  5. Is is possible to boot Knoppix from a USB hard drive?
    By pkobos in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-24-2003, 09:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS picture

Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS

$8199.99



Juniper Networks SRX4100 AC Service Gateway Appliance 8 Port 10G SFP+ Dual PSU picture

Juniper Networks SRX4100 AC Service Gateway Appliance 8 Port 10G SFP+ Dual PSU

$919.00



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$10499.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper EX4300-24P 24 Port Gigabit PoE+ Switch. picture

Juniper EX4300-24P 24 Port Gigabit PoE+ Switch.

$95.55