Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: restoring my windows xp partition

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3

    restoring my windows xp partition

    my win XP won't boot. None of the diagnostics repairs worked. I can't even get a directory listing. Windows says it is an unrecognizd partition. Hence I burned knoppix on a CD and booted off of it. I can see my folders in C:. However "my Documents" is locked (I must have set protection by accident). Is there a way to take over ownership of these locked folders so I can copy them to the second drive. Also when I tried to make NTFS writable, it is looking for some windows drivers but since my C is inaccessible It doesn't find them. I do have winXP OS CD. Is there a way to use it?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3
    with some struggle I figured out how to mount my optional drive in read/write mode. However I can only mount my C drive in read only mode. When I do file listing I see ?-------- for some folders instead of drwxrwxrwx. These are the very files/folders I need to copy over. It won't let me go into them and I cannot chmod these. Please help. Both these drives are NTFS

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3
    when I do a ls -l I see that my C drive is full. Only 3MB left. May be this is what killed it. Can someone tell me options for cpio so I can copy what I can without messing up modification times of folders and files? thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Windows 2000 Registry & Restoring it with Knoppix
    By skronrod in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-03-2006, 05:14 AM
  2. windows partition - no way?
    By radschlaeger in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 07:58 PM
  3. Restoring Knoppix Partition From an image File
    By sakiZ in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 07:34 PM
  4. restoring windows files
    By hood in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-17-2005, 12:05 AM
  5. restoring partition
    By thesystem in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2003, 06:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM picture

SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM

$499.99



SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12 picture

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12

$1599.99



16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS

$65.00



Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM

$10.99



Kingston Technology FURY Beast memory module 64 GB 2 x 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz picture

Kingston Technology FURY Beast memory module 64 GB 2 x 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz

$798.00



Kingston Fury Beast 32GB(2 x 16GB) KF552C36BBEA-16 DDR5 5200MHz RAM - R1031A picture

Kingston Fury Beast 32GB(2 x 16GB) KF552C36BBEA-16 DDR5 5200MHz RAM - R1031A

$299.95



LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total) picture

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)

$129.99



Lot of 50) 1Rx8 1Rx4 2Rx8 DDR3 PC3L-12800R PC3L-10600R SK Hynix, Hynix picture

Lot of 50) 1Rx8 1Rx4 2Rx8 DDR3 PC3L-12800R PC3L-10600R SK Hynix, Hynix

$300.00



Kingston 16GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-19200 2400MHz Memory Module KCP424SD8/16 picture

Kingston 16GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-19200 2400MHz Memory Module KCP424SD8/16

$55.00



Kingston (HyperX Fury ) DDR4 64gb 4x16 2933 MHz (PC4-23400) picture

Kingston (HyperX Fury ) DDR4 64gb 4x16 2933 MHz (PC4-23400)

$375.00