Try to change your display resolution. Go to K -> Control center -> Peripherals -> Display and do some experiments there.
I have a dead windows machine from the daycare that I would like to get the data out of it. It is dead because of Virus. It will boot on Windows but not do much after that. I thought about using Knoppix to access the hard drive.
Problem: after Knoppix boot, on the monitor attached to it, I see 2 times the same instance of Knoppix, one on the right and one on the left side of the screen. If I move the mouse, the cursor will move in both. This is odd enough but it also makes it impossible to read the font on the screen. So I cannot rescue the data in any way.
I tried Slax live CD too and it does the same. Any reason. I am no expert, but did boot from live CD in the past with no problem. However, it is the machine of the daycare, so I do not know the spec of it, aside from the fact they were using windows, and it is now corrupted.
M.
Try to change your display resolution. Go to K -> Control center -> Peripherals -> Display and do some experiments there.
If all else fails boot 'knoppix2' and run in text mode to copy the files you need.

Apple Macintosh Plus 1Mb Vintage Desktop Computer w/ Keyboard & Mouse
$245.00
Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19
NEW* AMD Athlon 4850e 4GB ATI X1050 Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games
$389.00
Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition
$199.99
Vintage Gray AC Power Cable Cord 3-Prong Plug to 3-Prong 3-Slot Connector
$50.00
Vintage 1980s 1990s Lot of 175 Used PC Computer 5.25" Floppy Disks IBM
$175.00
Apple Vintage External CD-ROM Drive Unit
$52.78
Vintage Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 5 Client Access Licenses Sealed
$89.99
Vintage Rare IBM ThinkPad G40 Laptop Untested Parts Only
$59.95
Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99