Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Video Problems On Boot W/ Version 3.8.2

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3

    Video Problems On Boot W/ Version 3.8.2

    Hi,

    I'm using the live CD, and burned a copy of 3.8.2. Previous version worked beautifully on my HP Vectra, but 3.8.2 will not initialize video. Tried different video modes/'scan'/failsafe, but none worked. "Failesafe" usually overcomes that problem on other machines. Video is an onboard Intel 82815. Detection says "Video Adapter VESA VGA".

    After the screen that says "Starting single X-Window session for user knoppix..." the video output simply gets garbled and stays that way no matter what booth options I've tried.

    Any ideas on why the new version doesn't detect or set up the video properly?

    Galume

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3

    Video Problems On Boot W/ Version 3.8.2 **UPDATE**

    Oh, BTW- I tried turning on DMA which I found used to be on by default in 3.7, and I also tried the CD on my IBM Netvista and it works great. Found a smiliar problem posted by RedButler- sorry I didn't see that earlier, but after you read that post one starts to think there's a development issue here. Anyone know why support for thr Intel 82815 chipset would have changed from 3.7 to 3.8?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1

    Similar problem with intel 82810 chipset.

    Gateway E-1400 PC PIII 847 128 MB RAM

    It autodetects intel 82810-DC100 (i810) using XFree86(i810) Server. This looks fine to me as a newbie.

    It autodetects the monitor, but many combinations of resolutions still result in out-of-sync monitor (fuzzy screen). Tried two different monitors.

    Any luck on 82810 chipsets?

    I found an rpm at intel with linux drivers, but it's dated from long before the distro.

    In the off-chance. how do I load the driver from the RPM onto a floppy for the modules-disk cheatcode?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3

    Probably the Kernal, I think :(

    In a different post, rwcitek wrote ""One big difference between 3.7 and 3.8 was that 3.7 used the 2.4 kernel while 3.8 used the 2.6 kernel. Many drivers changed because of the kernel change."

    I'm beginning to think that's why I can't get decent video display on any of the 3 computers I've tried in the last 3 days with 3.8.2. The developers need to seriously get thier priorities in order. Dropping drivers from the distro to make room so you can have 3 text editors and other duplicitous programs is clealy a bad move.

  5. #5

    I have the same problem...

    I've tried ver. 3.9 & 3.8 on my P3 800mhz and it appears to boot, asks to hit enter, then begins configuring, pauses, says there is a mode error, says to hit enter or choose mode, i've tried both paths, and this configures up until the sound card, then the screen flashes as it adjusts "for optimum settings" or w/e, then it says something regarding a x-window, then the screen turns in a tv w/ not signal (static) while it announces through the speakers it is loading, next its changes to a different static pattern, while the CD drive goes nuts, and finally the CD drive gives up and it remains static until you power off. Anyway, my next move is to try ver 3.7 and hopefully it should work.....

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: I have the same problem...

    Quote Originally Posted by stupefiedgenius
    I've tried ver. 3.9 & 3.8 on my P3 800mhz and it appears to boot, asks to hit enter, then begins configuring, pauses, says there is a mode error, says to hit enter or choose mode, i've tried both paths, and this configures up until the sound card, then the screen flashes as it adjusts "for optimum settings" or w/e, then it says something regarding a x-window, then the screen turns in a tv w/ not signal (static) while it announces through the speakers it is loading, next its changes to a different static pattern, while the CD drive goes nuts, and finally the CD drive gives up and it remains static until you power off. Anyway, my next move is to try ver 3.7 and hopefully it should work.....
    What video card do you have? What monitor do you have? We are unable to help you if we do not know what hardware you have. You've described the symptoms of the problem but we need more info. It sounds like knoppix is doing the best it can at autodetecting the video hardware (perhaps getting it wrong) & then setting a resolution & refresh rate that is beyond the capabilities of the hardware. Try booting knoppix with some Cheat Codes, such as:
    knoppix screen=800x600 xvrefresh=60
    knoppix screen=640x480 xvrefresh=60

    I hope this helps.
    James

  7. #7
    thnx for the help but I just tried using ver 3.7 and it worked I do have one problem w/ my internet connection but I have a feeling thats because I encrypted my wifi router (I can figure it out on my own later)

Similar Threads

  1. video support changes with version ?
    By happyknoppy in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2006, 12:19 PM
  2. Video Problems on Boot - v 3.8.2 Live CD
    By richb01 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-26-2005, 11:46 PM
  3. video problems
    By JFAB in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 02:41 AM
  4. HDD/Video problems
    By gsanvic in forum Laptops
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-05-2004, 06:59 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-05-2003, 06:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot of (5) Samsung 32GB 2RX4 DDR4-2133 ECC REG RAM M393A4K40BB0-CPB picture

Lot of (5) Samsung 32GB 2RX4 DDR4-2133 ECC REG RAM M393A4K40BB0-CPB

$875.00



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



40GB (5x8GB) Micron MT36JSZS1G72PY-1G1A1DD 8GB PC3-8500R Server Memory RAM picture

40GB (5x8GB) Micron MT36JSZS1G72PY-1G1A1DD 8GB PC3-8500R Server Memory RAM

$33.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON picture

Lot of 4 8GB DDR4 PC4-2400T ECC Registered Server RAM 32GB 1Rx8 RDIMM MICRON

$149.99