I just got the latest version of Knoppix (v. 3.9) and I am running it on my laptop (Compaq Presario 2100 AMD Athlon XP). It works fine and it recognizes almost all of my hardware save for the built-in wireless adapter. I am interested in using it to retreive some data from my hard drive since Windows XP (Home Edition SP2 in this case) is acting up and refusing to boot. When I click on the icon for my hard disk partition on the desktop, it displays an error saying this message:
Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1
missing codepage or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog- try dmesg | tail or so
I am hoping that this is not a sign of physical damage to the hard drive, but on the other hand I have no idea what it means and I do not know how to get to the syslog (system log I'm assuming).
I would really like to figure out how to get access to my hard drive (if it is still possible) or how to configure the built-in network card to access the internet. Any help would be very appreciated.

1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM
$320.00
24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99
4 Gb PC3L-12800R-11-13-A1 Memory Module
$79.50
24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99
Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
LOT 10: Samsung M393A4K40BB2-CTD7Y 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC RDIMM Server RAM
$1749.99
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
Lot of 32 SAMSUNG 64GB 2Rx4 PC4-3200 ECC REG SERVER RAM M393A8G40AB2-CWE
$22500.00
1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50
Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99