I just got the latest version of Knoppix (v. 3.9) and I am running it on my laptop (Compaq Presario 2100 AMD Athlon XP). It works fine and it recognizes almost all of my hardware save for the built-in wireless adapter. I am interested in using it to retreive some data from my hard drive since Windows XP (Home Edition SP2 in this case) is acting up and refusing to boot. When I click on the icon for my hard disk partition on the desktop, it displays an error saying this message:
Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1
missing codepage or other error
In some cases useful info is found in syslog- try dmesg | tail or so
I am hoping that this is not a sign of physical damage to the hard drive, but on the other hand I have no idea what it means and I do not know how to get to the syslog (system log I'm assuming).
I would really like to figure out how to get access to my hard drive (if it is still possible) or how to configure the built-in network card to access the internet. Any help would be very appreciated.

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$95.20
Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99
Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric
$174.99
Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99
Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU
$197.76
Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)
$1599.99
Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99
HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5"x2 Server Blade SEE NOTES
$21.08
Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08
Intel H2000 4 Node H2216XXKR, 2x 1600w PSU HPC Server Chassis 16x 2.5"
$199.99