-
Senior Member
registered user
Can someone confirm these bugs, er, features?
Anyone else experience this, or is it just me?
Running from the live Knoppix v3.9 CD:
- In file management mode, Konqueror stalls forever (doesn't hang; just stalls) when trying to browse / (occurs on two computers I tried it on)
- After typing "su" in a Konsole window, nothing happens; prompt disappears
On a hard disk install of Knoppix v3.9:
- Using "knoppix-install-latest-web", the install script seems to think it's Kanotix it's installing, not Knoppix, and tries to install icons for Kanotix-specific configuration scripts that aren't there. Result #1 is an incomplete number of icons installed in the kicker bar. Result #2 is that it displays "Welcome to Kanotix hdd installation" (or whatever the heck it is) on startup.
- There's two things trying to initialize the network. (Still trying to figure out how to fix this one.) Resulting messages during boot:
Setting up networking....done.
[...]
Configuring network interfaces....ifup: Interface is already configured
failed to connect to localhost: bootpc: Network is unreachable
There might be another pump running!
done
- Konqueror problem: running "kfmclient openProfile filemanagement" (i.e. clicking the "Home" icon on the kicker) either doesn't work or takes 5 minutes before it does.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Can someone confirm these bugs, er, features?

Originally Posted by
eco2geek
On a hard disk install of Knoppix v3.9:
- Using "knoppix-install-latest-web", the install script seems to think it's Kanotix it's installing, not Knoppix, and tries to install icons for Kanotix-specific configuration scripts that aren't there. Result #1 is an incomplete number of icons installed in the kicker bar. Result #2 is that it displays "Welcome to Kanotix hdd installation" (or whatever the heck it is) on startup.
- There's two things trying to initialize the network. (Still trying to figure out how to fix this one.) Resulting messages during boot:
Setting up networking....done.
[...]
Configuring network interfaces....ifup: Interface is already configured
failed to connect to localhost: bootpc: Network is unreachable
There might be another pump running!
done
I had a feeling that the HD installer might be a issue for 3.9, so I did a HD install just as a test today at work. I too had the Kanotix message & noticed that the NIC was not properly configured. I had to manually run netcardconfig to get it to make eth0 grab a address via dhcp. I thought that was odd but I am willing to think of that as an odd quirk of our work network.
As for the HD installer, Since so many people complain about the HD installer, he was thinking of removing it http://archives.free.net.ph/message/...3a8d93.en.html. Since 3.8.2 Knoppix devs decided to use the Kanotix HD installer script which is more reliable than the original install script http://archives.free.net.ph/message/...919546.en.html. I figure that the script's detection routine (Is this Kanotix or is this Knoppix?) might be a bit messed up and now thinks that Knoppix 3.9 is Kanotix.
As for problems with the installer, as I am sure you already know, it is a unsupported & alpha quality script. It works but it does not seem to work well.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
eco2geek
Running from the live Knoppix v3.9 CD:
- In file management mode, Konqueror stalls forever (doesn't hang; just stalls) when trying to browse / (occurs on two computers I tried it on)
- After typing "su" in a Konsole window, nothing happens; prompt disappears
I just tried 3.9 from CD and did not have those problems. Konqueror browsing / is fine & su worked just as it should.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks for the "reality check." The Konqueror and "su" issue may be due to using a persistent home from an older version of Knoppix.
The network issue is due to acpi. I have to use "acpi=force" along with "pci=usepirqmask" as kernel parameters in order to get a PCI USB card to work on this old computer, but for some reason it's interfering with the /etc/init.d/networking script. (Having to run /usr/sbin/netcardconfig after a hard disk install, once, seems to be normal. In this case, I'm having to run pump or dhclient manually on each reboot. Knoppix seems to use pump, while Kanotix uses dhclient.)
By the way, Knoppix 3.9 will take an apt-get dist-upgrade!
<edit>
The Konqueror/su issues were indeed due to using a persistent home created with Knoppix 3.8.
<edit 2>
Created a new persistent home, told Knoppix 3.9 to load it, and I'm having problems with Konsole again.
-
Re: Can someone confirm these bugs, er, features? / network
Hi,

Originally Posted by
eco2geek
[*]There's two things trying to initialize the network. (Still trying to figure out how to fix this one.) Resulting messages during boot:
Setting up networking....done.
[...]
Configuring network interfaces....ifup: Interface is already configured
failed to connect to localhost: bootpc: Network is unreachable
There might be another pump running!
done
cause of this problem is, that interface "lo" is not properly deconfigured on system shutdown. Thus, "lo" won't be properly configured on system bootup. /etc/network/run/ifstate has to be deleted on system shutdown by /etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean. The link from /etc/rcS.d/S18ifupdown-clean to /etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean is missing.
You can add this link for proper function, or - if You dont know how to do this - just reinstall ifupdown via apt (--reinstall). This will fix it, too.
Klaus Knopper is already informed of this problem and will fix it in the next installer.
Greetings
-
Err...
Can anyone give me an exact step by step on how to do this? As you can clearly see, I am a first-timer here and I seem to be having the same problem. (Please don't give me the "Live CD shouldn't be installed on the HD". I have read it a million times...:P) How do I make the kind of link you are talking about? (I have knoppix 3.9) Please do respond quickly.
Radix
-
Senior Member
registered user
As root:
ln -s /etc/init.d/ifupdown-clean /etc/rcS.d/S18ifupdown-clean
-
Many Thanks!
Now browsing the internet with Linux!
Radix
Similar Threads
-
By babelbrennt in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-20-2005, 03:39 PM
-
By Matze in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-27-2005, 10:41 PM
-
By pelican in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-06-2004, 07:02 PM
-
By eadz in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-04-2004, 03:56 PM
-
By the_CName in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

Dell Optiplex 3080 SFF Desktop PC Intel i7-10700 16GB DDR4 512GB SSD Win11 Pro,
$325.00

12 Gen Intel i7-12700 4.45GHz 12-core CPU
$205.00

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00

Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*
$32.99

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49

Evergreen 586 - Processor upgrade 486 to 586
$149.99

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU
$15.99