-
Booting Prob
I am a knoppix newbie.
But I have read a lot of threads, looking for an answer to my prob and haven't found one. I apoligize in advance if I have over looked the answer.
I dl'ed knoppix 3.9 from a mirror and checked it using md5. burned it at a slow speed (4x). Set my BIOS to boot from CD-ROM first, and it does that, but after it starts to load I get a command promt (A:\). I am able to change the drive letter on that command prompt, but I'm not sure what to do from there in order to get knoppix up and running. thanx
I have read some threads about SATA probs. I am running A RAIDw/2 SATA drives
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Booting Prob

Originally Posted by
brian_bizzle
I am a knoppix newbie. :) But I have read a lot of threads, looking for an answer to my prob and haven't found one. I apoligize in advance if I have over looked the answer.
Its good that you looked before asking. That shows you are smart & shows inititiave.

Originally Posted by
brian_bizzle
I dl'ed knoppix 3.9 from a mirror and checked it using md5. burned it at a slow speed (4x). Set my BIOS to boot from CD-ROM first, and it does that, but after it starts to load I get a command promt (A:\). I am able to change the drive letter on that command prompt, but I'm not sure what to do from there in order to get knoppix up and running. thanx
You checked md5? good. You burned it slow? good. It comes up as A:? Not good. The ISO needs to be burned as an image & not as a bootable disc. See this thread were someone had a similar problem. http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19451

Originally Posted by
brian_bizzle
I have read some threads about SATA probs. I am running A RAIDw/2 SATA drives
Yes you may have some unsupported hardware.
Good start so far brian.
I hope this helps.
James
-
It worked!!! I was under the assumption that the disc had to be bootable since my comp used it to boot, but I guess not. I Burned it as an ISO image at the slow slow 4x speed suggested and everything worked. Thanx for the help!!!! I'll keep on reading the threads too.
Similar Threads
-
By mithereal in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-21-2005, 09:07 AM
-
By bsaber in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-19-2005, 07:46 PM
-
By fishjg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-07-2004, 01:44 AM
-
By motion in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-11-2004, 12:12 AM
-
By M_N_M in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-05-2003, 01:05 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Rare Packard Bell R500 A950-TWR with Microsoft Windows 95 Microsoft Plus
$175.00

NEW* AMD Athlon 4850e 4GB ATI X300 Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games
$349.00

NEW* AMD Athlon 4850e 4GB ATI X1050 Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games
$389.00

NEW* AMD Athlon 4850e Nvidia Quadro Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games
$449.00

Vintage Gray AC Power Cable Cord 3-Prong Plug to 3-Prong 3-Slot Connector
$50.00

Vintage Compaq SLT/386s/20 laptop Boots to DOS, power supply, CMOS dead working
$345.00

Vintage Texas Instruments Home Computer TI-99/4A - Games & accessories Untested
$79.95

Vintage 1983 Napco Pro-410 Programmer Tester Chips for Alarm Security
$24.99

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS
$228.19

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99