I have built on ethernet adapter too and ADSL modem. Conection didn't work until I put "nodhcp" in Lilo.conf:
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet nodhcp"
Sometimes "acpi=off" helps too.
Knoppix is 3.8.1.
i have a compaq 6350us with a built on ethernet adapter and since version 3.8.1 i havent been able to recognize it. the knoppix boot screen says its there but the light on my router dosent light up. so i cnat send or reciev packets or any thing. i am moderately comfortable with linux.
If anyone can help it is really appreciated.
i have a comcast linksys router/cable modem
I have built on ethernet adapter too and ADSL modem. Conection didn't work until I put "nodhcp" in Lilo.conf:
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce quiet nodhcp"
Sometimes "acpi=off" helps too.
Knoppix is 3.8.1.
Thanx forthe help ill try that at next boot.

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
$8.00
Vintage Linux DVD - Knoppix 5.2 - c't Magazine - 7 / 2007 - Software Collection 2
$7.84
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.59