-
Junior Member
registered user
Newbie can't connect to Internet with Netgear USB Adapter
KNOPPIX doesn't connect to my wireless Internet system. I have a Netgear WG121 802.11g Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter on this computer. The system works fine in Windows XP, but not KNOPPIX LINUX.
As a newbie, I don't have a clue as to what to do. Any suggestions will definitely be welcome.
Thank you!
-
I've had mixed luck with the netgear wg121 using ndiswrapper and knoppix 3.8.1, currently my system is very unstable.
system: ECS K7S5A, AMD duron 950, 256MB, Knoppix 3.8.1 HD install, using the ndiswrapper that came with the install (1.1r3)
The basic setup was fairly simple. I mounted the netgear cd, and installed the inf file from the ndis directory on the cd (using ndiswrapper -i). I then ran ndiswrapper -m to add an alias somewhere, then added a stanza, specifying ESSID and mode, for wlan0 to my /etc/network/interfaces file (redhat seems to use /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0).
using wlcardconfig or iwconfig (or iwpriv) to set parameters, however, seems to have no affect. I seem to get one chance to set things in /etc/network/interfaces and that's it.
But my wlan0 stanza in /etc/network/interfaces gets things working on bootup, and (almost) always connects to my ESSID (and not my neighbors').
But if I try to use ssh (like scp of a large file) over the network, and the system crashes. Merely web browsing can trigger it as well, but not nearly as quickly. I've tried setting my router to 802.11b, and my system was stable for a bit longer, but only a bit. (I get nothing in logfiles, just an "Oops" on a tty if I'm on one)
I haven't tried WEP yet either.
Similar Threads
-
By Seanp in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 8
Last Post: 06-23-2009, 04:18 AM
-
By johart in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-02-2006, 03:19 AM
-
By matty316 in forum Networking
Replies: 6
Last Post: 05-30-2005, 06:19 PM
-
By TechniK in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-31-2004, 05:39 PM
-
By ballermann in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-26-2003, 09:38 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays
$599.99

Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU
$315.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99