-
No USB / Can't Load Modules / Odd insmod Behavior
I've spent the last several days trying to figure out why I lost USB and network after installing to hard disk. I had read every single english-language Google hit (many hundreds) I could find which pertained to my problem, and no one had ever reported this, so I'm writing up a quick summary of what I found in hopes that others won't have the same frustrations. If the problem is obvious or old news, I apologize in advance.
ENVIRONMENT:
Knoppix 3.8.2 (Debian Sid - you all know this, I'm sure, but I'm trying to put in keywords for Google)
AMD K6
Linux 2.6.11
Linux 2.4.18
SYMPTOMS:
After installing to hard drive (using knoppix-installer-latest-web), over an existing Debian (Sarge) install (without reformatting), and then updating from apt sources, I noticed I had no USB or network. It turned out I had no modules at all. I tried custom initrd and kernels, but could neither load modules nor get working things which the CD autoconfigured. Everything still worked when booting off the CD again. When booting from 2.6.11, either custom or stock-from-Kanotix, I noticed that insmod and modprobe always gave an odd error: "ERROR: Module foo does not exist in /proc/modules". /proc is information about the currently running system; of course it doesn't exist there! Why is that a problem? I also noticed that 2.4.18 did not give the same error, and 2.6.11 didn't give the error when booting from CD.
Back to 2.6.11. Running insmod or modprobe without any arguments produced more weirdness:
Usage: insmod [-fhswvV] modulename
Usage: modprobe [-fhswvV] modulename
This is the usage message for rmmod, not insmod. 2.4.18 and booting from CD, on the other hand, produced the correct usage messages.
SOLUTION:
It turned out there was a version of modutils which was an all-in-one binary. Its behavior is supposed to depend on the name by which it is called. For some reason, it was not correctly using modprobe or insmod functions when booting from 2.6.11 on hard disk - in those cases, it was always defaulting to rmmod behavior - yet it was clearly recognizing the name by which it was called, as we can see by the usage messages above.
It had the same version number as the separate-binaries version on the Knoppix CD:
module-init-tools version 3.2-pre1
Anyway, I moved insmod to rmmod, and copied a new insmod and modprobe from the CD, and now my modules are correctly loaded.
NOTES:
Perhaps this should be reported to modutils; it does seem to be, first and foremost, inconsistent modutils behavior. Alternately, Debian might be a good place to report it, in case the issue was my update after installation. But I'm too lazy; hopefully Google will pick up this post and my effort won't be wasted. Besides, it might, in fact, be a Knoppix issue (or Kanotix?) - but now I'm too sick of this problem even to finish this sentence properly.
Similar Threads
-
By wachka in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-06-2005, 05:39 PM
-
By bigrobot in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-30-2004, 08:38 AM
-
By wicking in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-06-2004, 07:50 PM
-
By arkaine23 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-17-2004, 02:41 PM
-
By ckapsl in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-29-2003, 02:18 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99

HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD
$84.99

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s
$55.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99