What a Bozo I am. I was trying to use <ESC> and hjkl from my old ksh world.
Arrow keys seem to work fine.
Command line recall history usually seems enabled when I start bash on a unix system.
What do I have to do to enable it in KNOPPIX booted from cdrom?
Tried "export HISTORY=100", but there must be more steps necessary. Once I get history working, and can save and reboot with my preferences, I should be on my way.
Thanks to all advisors.
What a Bozo I am. I was trying to use <ESC> and hjkl from my old ksh world.
Arrow keys seem to work fine.

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor
$79.00
BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD
$169.99
AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00
Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49
AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 3.3GHz 6-Core 12-Thread AM4 Desktop CPU Processor Tested
$54.50
Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU
$80.00
Intel Core i5-7500 SR335 3.4GHz 4-Core LGA 1151 CPU PROCESSOR
$14.99
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
Intel Core i5-8400T 1.7 GHz LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SR3X6
$28.99