-
Error: No Suitable X-Server found
Ok, here is what I know. Any help would be appreciated. btw, I am running a Dell Inspiron 1150.
I see the following messages - and I did figure out how to use the cheat codes:
You passed an undefined mode number
..later on..
modprobe: Fatal: could not read /lib/modules/2.6.11/kernel/drivers/input/evdev.to
..later on.
Starting X11..
Retrying with the Server XFree86 (ves)
Retrying with the Server XFree86 (fsdev)
Error: No suitable X-Server found for your card.
Tested cheat codes (none solved problem, but vga=normal resolves the undefined mode number error):
xmodule=nv
vga=normal
xvrefresh=60
acpi=off
Also have tried failsafe, same errors. I am using Knoppix Live-CD 3.9.
I don't know much about linux, but its not booting into the GUI (everything works fine on my other computer, a desktop, however I need it on my laptop).
I will also try running lspci -v and post results.
Thanks for any help in advance,
Jeff
-
I have the same problem but with different hardware. My computer is a Gateway desktop using Intel graphics chip i82815. Knoppix versions up to 3.7 work on this computer. I have not tried 3.8.2. I did notice that the hardware detection in 3.9 detected my monitor as a different brand. I do not know what make or model the other version of Knoppix used for my monitor because they just worked.
I have no answers but am hoping someone might have a clue. I haven't tried the no hardware detection cheat code yet. You could try that to see what happens.
-
Darn, I really would like to install linux on my computer instead of windoze (i'm planning 2 partitions). I really need some help. It is possible that I have the same graphics card as you, I believe its Intel but onboard. Not sure what to do. Linux gurus please help.
Thanks,
Jeff
-
Same Problem
I get the same error message, but X comes up just with the mouse cursor and the bad background, but thats it.
I've got a shuttle SB61G
Geforce 5700LE and
onboard intel extreme 256
The strange thing is knoppix's log says it detected an intel video card and so go agpgart in dmesg, but the X comes up on the Geforce's monitor. I havn't checked if there is actually output from the intel card.
Similar Threads
-
By vos_wolf in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-09-2008, 05:09 PM
-
By ilochab in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-25-2007, 05:51 PM
-
By Miles_Teg in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-08-2005, 05:04 AM
-
By iss in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 06-16-2003, 02:18 AM
-
By Rudeboy in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-31-2003, 07:05 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$59.99

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1MB- 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Jump Drive Lot
$385.00

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99