Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Error: No Suitable X-Server found

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2

    Error: No Suitable X-Server found

    Ok, here is what I know. Any help would be appreciated. btw, I am running a Dell Inspiron 1150.

    I see the following messages - and I did figure out how to use the cheat codes:

    You passed an undefined mode number
    ..later on..
    modprobe: Fatal: could not read /lib/modules/2.6.11/kernel/drivers/input/evdev.to
    ..later on.
    Starting X11..
    Retrying with the Server XFree86 (ves)
    Retrying with the Server XFree86 (fsdev)
    Error: No suitable X-Server found for your card.

    Tested cheat codes (none solved problem, but vga=normal resolves the undefined mode number error):
    xmodule=nv
    vga=normal
    xvrefresh=60
    acpi=off

    Also have tried failsafe, same errors. I am using Knoppix Live-CD 3.9.

    I don't know much about linux, but its not booting into the GUI (everything works fine on my other computer, a desktop, however I need it on my laptop).

    I will also try running lspci -v and post results.

    Thanks for any help in advance,
    Jeff

  2. #2
    I have the same problem but with different hardware. My computer is a Gateway desktop using Intel graphics chip i82815. Knoppix versions up to 3.7 work on this computer. I have not tried 3.8.2. I did notice that the hardware detection in 3.9 detected my monitor as a different brand. I do not know what make or model the other version of Knoppix used for my monitor because they just worked.

    I have no answers but am hoping someone might have a clue. I haven't tried the no hardware detection cheat code yet. You could try that to see what happens.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2
    Darn, I really would like to install linux on my computer instead of windoze (i'm planning 2 partitions). I really need some help. It is possible that I have the same graphics card as you, I believe its Intel but onboard. Not sure what to do. Linux gurus please help.

    Thanks,
    Jeff

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1

    Same Problem

    I get the same error message, but X comes up just with the mouse cursor and the bad background, but thats it.

    I've got a shuttle SB61G


    Geforce 5700LE and
    onboard intel extreme 256

    The strange thing is knoppix's log says it detected an intel video card and so go agpgart in dmesg, but the X comes up on the Geforce's monitor. I havn't checked if there is actually output from the intel card.

Similar Threads

  1. Error: No suitable X-Server found for your card
    By vos_wolf in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-09-2008, 05:09 PM
  2. 5.1.1 error:no suitable X-server found
    By ilochab in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-25-2007, 05:51 PM
  3. error: no suitable x-server found for your card
    By Miles_Teg in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-08-2005, 05:04 AM
  4. "Error: No suitable X-Server found for your card"
    By iss in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-16-2003, 02:18 AM
  5. Error: No suitable X-server found for your card
    By Rudeboy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-31-2003, 07:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$155.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$298.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



TWO (2) Firewalla Gold Pro Devices - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

TWO (2) Firewalla Gold Pro Devices - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$1444.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



OPNsense Firewall Router VMware Edge 640 Atom C3758 32GB ECC RAM 256GB SSD 10Gbe picture

OPNsense Firewall Router VMware Edge 640 Atom C3758 32GB ECC RAM 256GB SSD 10Gbe

$284.99



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50