Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Nervous Knoppix Newbie

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    11

    Nervous Knoppix Newbie

    I just got a CD in the mail today of Knoppix 3.9, and I have a few questions before I get started.

    -Will X Windows/KDE start by itself, or do I have to start it manually. My main question here is, what happens when Knoppix boots?

    -Is it true that this edition can write to NTFS? Should I back up NTFS data before trying it?

    -How will this react to my USB mouse?

    -When is it safe to remove the CD?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    72
    I haven't booted from CD for a while (I did a HD install a few months back), but from the top of my head:
    -Will X Windows/KDE start by itself, or do I have to start it manually. My main question here is, what happens when Knoppix boots?
    Boot it up and find out! Seriously, yes it will automatically detect and configure your system.
    -Is it true that this edition can write to NTFS? Should I back up NTFS data before trying it?
    DO NOT write to NTFS with any Linux Distro! You can read NTFS without any problems. You do not need to back up anything if you are just booting and running from CD.
    -How will this react to my USB mouse?
    It should find it and configure it automatically... it found mine!
    -When is it safe to remove the CD?
    When you exit your session (right click on desktop and select from menu) and shut down the system, it will eject the CD for you.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    11
    Cool! Thanks for your answers.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    11
    Ok, I tried it out... it seems pretty neat...
    I have a Linux partition in place already from SuSE 9, which I damaged and have been unable to fix. I noticed that there was an icon in Knoppix which said, "Create a persistant Knoppix disk image." This would store settings for knoppix, correct?
    Can I put it on the Linux partition that exists already?

Similar Threads

  1. newbie in knoppix ...
    By rrrjunior in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-01-2005, 02:40 PM
  2. Knoppix newbie
    By johngrinham in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 11:45 PM
  3. An easy newbie question - very newbie
    By Drago in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
  4. Knoppix newbie!!!!!!!!!!
    By pbearseven in forum General Support
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-13-2003, 04:25 PM
  5. knoppix newbie
    By srinivasan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2003, 08:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HPE Synergy 480 Gen10 Blade Server BAREBONES NO CPU, RAM OR HDD  🚚 picture

HPE Synergy 480 Gen10 Blade Server BAREBONES NO CPU, RAM OR HDD 🚚

$140.00



NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE T430 T630 G13 SERVERS K98XH picture

NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE T430 T630 G13 SERVERS K98XH

$225.00



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$96.60



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Enclosure Chassis

$274.99



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Empty Chassis XJ6VP picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2 FX2s Server 10GbE CMC Blade Empty Chassis XJ6VP

$149.99



Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers* picture

Supermicro 938-16 16-LFF MicroCloud SuperServer 5038MR-H8TRF *No Blade Servers*

$159.99



NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW picture

NEW Cisco UCSB-5108-AC2 Blade Server Chassis 8 Slot 6RU Chassis 4 X PSU - DW

$599.40