-
Senior Member
registered user
VNC!!!
ok, i need info on how to make this work... me and me friend have been trying for the last past hour to try and make this work, but he can't find me and i cant find him... but i can view meself... all we want to do on it is play around... 
-
Senior Member
registered user
On Linux/Unix, run:
vncserver -geometry 1024x768 -depth 24
If you haven't already run it, then it will ask you to secure it with a password.
Next it will run and give you display information:
Code:
New 'my-test-machine:1 (james)' desktop is my-test-machine:1
Starting applications specified in /home/james/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /home/james/.vnc/my-test-machine:1.log
That :# is very important to get vnc connected.
On windows I use RealVNC 4 from www.realvnc.com. On linux I krdc which is the built in KDE remote desktop connection which knows the vnc protocol, command: krdc. Or I use the xvncviewer xvnc4viewer commands. When connecting to a linux/unix vnc desktop you MUST include the display info, the :#, so that it knows to connect to that desktop. So to connect to my-test-machine I would enter the machine's hostname/IP immediatley follows by the display number: 192.168.100.83:1.
This display number is necessary to connected to a linux/unix machine because you can have multiple vnc sessions for multiple users from 1 machine. If you trying to connect to a vnc running on a windows machine, then the display number is not necessary as VNC for windows can not provide multiple desktops for multiple users from 1 machine.
If you successfully get connected to a linux/unix box and you do not see your usual KDE/GNOME/IceWM/WindowMaker/etc desktop, then it is because vnc did not start your normal X session but rather ran a boring ugly twm x session. To change this you must edit the /home/username/.vnc/xstartup file and tell it to start either KDE/GNOME/IceWM/WindowMaker/etc.
To end a vnc session on a linux/unix machine, use the command line:
vncserver -kill :#
where the :# is the display number of the session you want to kill. You do not need to run it from the physical console or a ssh session. You can run it right from a running vnc session so that it will self terminate.
I hope this helps.
James
-
Senior Member
registered user
i belive vnc for debian is java based. so you have to view it with your web browser.
will show the listerning port its using.
-

Originally Posted by
pureone
i belive vnc for debian is java based. so you have to view it with your web browser.
will show the listerning port its using.
The web interface to VNC is available on all platforms (there is nothing different about debian). However, VNC works better and faster using a proper VNC client. I use the standard realvnc vncserver + vncviewer and they work well.
-
Junior Member
registered user
i prefer ultr@NVC
but i dont know how to complile and run stuff on linux
andbody can help me understand how
i am trying to install 3 things and dont know how
WASTE (encrypted decentralized p2p)
Nicotine (soulseek linux clone)
UltraVNC (remote control)
also once i learn how to install linux software how do i keep these on the boot cd setup?
rebuild? and how
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
diogenes
i prefer ultr@NVC
but i dont know how to complile and run stuff on linux
andbody can help me understand how
i am trying to install 3 things and dont know how
WASTE (encrypted decentralized p2p)
Nicotine (soulseek linux clone)
UltraVNC (remote control)
also once i learn how to install linux software how do i keep these on the boot cd setup?
rebuild? and how
Make your own post about this. Please do not put your support requests at the end of somone else's. If you make your own post I will provide support as I already have it all typed out.
-
Junior Member
registered user
-
Senior Member
registered user
thank you all people... i am testing it today... so, if i dont ask anymore questions, you know it worked...
THANK YOU!
-
I want get Desktop display:0 in my Windows.
How to set this...
When I type >vncserver [defaults] it showed me X Server Display:1
That NOT display the Real desktop but virtual one. I dont want this...
Pleasse HELP.. how I can view REAL desktop linux in Windows [display:0 or 5900]
Please write the instruction here... Thanks
okie
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
okie
I want get Desktop display:0 in my Windows.
How to set this...
When I type >vncserver [defaults] it showed me X Server Display:1
That NOT display the Real desktop but virtual one. I dont want this...
Pleasse HELP.. how I can view REAL desktop linux in Windows [display:0 or 5900]
Please write the instruction here... Thanks
okie
I have been able to share the :0 display on a monitor and have been able to remote control it at the same time from another machine.
It is very simple
Just download x11vnc from http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/
Follow the instructions on the website and you will be up and running in 5-10 mins.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$240.00

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network
$874.99

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module
$30.00

nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply
$200.00

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points
$30.00