-
Junior Member
registered user
Nervous Knoppix Newbie
I just got a CD in the mail today of Knoppix 3.9, and I have a few questions before I get started.
-Will X Windows/KDE start by itself, or do I have to start it manually. My main question here is, what happens when Knoppix boots?
-Is it true that this edition can write to NTFS? Should I back up NTFS data before trying it?
-How will this react to my USB mouse?
-When is it safe to remove the CD?
-
I haven't booted from CD for a while (I did a HD install a few months back), but from the top of my head:
-Will X Windows/KDE start by itself, or do I have to start it manually. My main question here is, what happens when Knoppix boots?
Boot it up and find out!
Seriously, yes it will automatically detect and configure your system.
-Is it true that this edition can write to NTFS? Should I back up NTFS data before trying it?
DO NOT write to NTFS with any Linux Distro! You can read NTFS without any problems. You do not need to back up anything if you are just booting and running from CD.
-How will this react to my USB mouse?
It should find it and configure it automatically... it found mine!
-When is it safe to remove the CD?
When you exit your session (right click on desktop and select from menu) and shut down the system, it will eject the CD for you.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Cool! Thanks for your answers.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Ok, I tried it out... it seems pretty neat...
I have a Linux partition in place already from SuSE 9, which I damaged and have been unable to fix. I noticed that there was an icon in Knoppix which said, "Create a persistant Knoppix disk image." This would store settings for knoppix, correct?
Can I put it on the Linux partition that exists already?
Similar Threads
-
By rrrjunior in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-01-2005, 02:40 PM
-
By johngrinham in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-23-2003, 11:45 PM
-
By Drago in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
-
By pbearseven in forum General Support
Replies: 22
Last Post: 10-13-2003, 04:25 PM
-
By srinivasan in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-06-2003, 08:47 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Micron 1300 MTFDDAK256TDL 256 GB SATA III 2.5 in Solid State Drive
$24.99

Samsung Solid State Drive Model 2.5 in Internal SSD Gray/Black
$149.00

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed
$42.00