Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Newbie questions(s)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1

    Newbie questions(s)

    I'm pretty new with linux, I've played around with a few other distros (beatrix, SuSe, and Knoppix STD just because). Now I am looking to get more into linux as a primary OS (running on a older Windows XP computer).
    I just downloaded KNOPPIX_V6.2.1DVD-2010-01-31-EN burned it and it works great on the computer that I'm running it on. My question is, as i was going through the applications I saw that I can install it to a flash drive. To do this do I just plug in my flash drive and go? If so, will a 4GB drive work or will I a bigger flash drive? Also will i be able to save downloads to the drive with knoppix installed on it?

    Thanks in advanced,
    Travis

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis7577 View Post
    I'm pretty new with linux, I've played around with a few other distros (beatrix, SuSe, and Knoppix STD just because). Now I am looking to get more into linux as a primary OS (running on a older Windows XP computer).
    I just downloaded KNOPPIX_V6.2.1DVD-2010-01-31-EN burned it and it works great on the computer that I'm running it on. My question is, as i was going through the applications I saw that I can install it to a flash drive. To do this do I just plug in my flash drive and go?
    That'll do it!
    If so, will a 4GB drive work or will I a bigger flash drive?
    Since you have the DVD version, you'll probably want to use a bigger one eventually. It's fine to start with that one, though; as it's easy enough to copy to a larger flash and expand your "persistent store" when you have room.
    Also will i be able to save downloads to the drive with knoppix installed on it?
    Yes, but note the above caveat on size limitation. You can also store stuff on the FAT-formatted "raw" drive, which allows easy file transfers with Windows- based machines. You may also use the flash-install utility to make a hard drive install, but it does require that the first partition be used, and the format will be FAT32.
    Thanks in advanced,
    Travis
    Cheers!
    Krishna

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$288.19



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



32GB DDR5 PC5-38400R RDIMM Micron MTC18F1045S1PC48BA2 Memory RAM picture

32GB DDR5 PC5-38400R RDIMM Micron MTC18F1045S1PC48BA2 Memory RAM

$949.99



Samsung 64GB 4x16GB DDR4-2400 ECC RDIMM M393A2K40CB1-CRC4Q HPE Server RAM picture

Samsung 64GB 4x16GB DDR4-2400 ECC RDIMM M393A2K40CB1-CRC4Q HPE Server RAM

$299.99



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC picture

Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC

$4.95



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$218.79