-
Use of diskless systems as number-crunching drone machines
I have several machines whose only storage peripheral is the CD from which
they boot Knoppix. No floppy, no HD, no USB key. I use them as drones for
my number-crunching hobbies. I know space is tight, and I've read the FAQ,
but I'd like to suggest the addition of some number-crunching programs on
the live CD, so that I, and the few like me, don't always have to pull executables
off a central NFS server. In particular, the general purpose numeric package
'gp' (which is like 'dc', 'bc', or 'calc' on steroids).
Incidentally, I'm co-author of an upcoming (i.e. accepted for publication) article
in linux magazine where I explicitly mention Knoppix as my live CD of choice.
Keep up the good work, all those involved.
Phil
Similar Threads
-
By dram in forum The Lounge
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-04-2008, 11:10 AM
-
By Harry Kuhman in forum The Lounge
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-16-2007, 05:50 AM
-
By rcbutcher in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-09-2005, 04:13 PM
-
By 5417 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-20-2004, 07:23 AM
-
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-07-2003, 10:44 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Vintage Linux DVD - Knoppix 5.2 - c't Magazine - 7 / 2007 - Software Collection 2
$7.84

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.59