-
5-second pause, "Looking up" when using browser
I've noticed in the more recent versions of Knoppix that when using an Internet browser, either Konqueror or Firefox, that there is an annoying pause when going to any new website - it will say "Looking up *****" (where ***** is whatever address I typed in) for about 10 seconds or so before loading the page. The page then loads quickly. I have a 2.4 megabit DSL connection, and I don't get this pause when I run Windows XP. Based on searching I've done in this forum, I've turned off Ipv6 in Firefox config, and in /etc/modules.conf and /etc/modutils/aliases. Those changes seemed to reduce the delay from about 10 seconds to about 5 seconds. After this initial pause, any pages I load under THAT domain name will load up quickly, but if I leave the page for a few minutes and come back, I get the same thing all over again - it has to look up the name. Anyone know how to get rid of this? Or even know what the he** I'm talking about?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
It sounds like your ISP has one or more really bad DNS servers (join the club). You may be able to help yourself by changing the DNS servers to some known good ones with netcardconfig, or, if you have a router, changing the DNS settings in the router (that way tou will not have to change them every time you boot Knoppix).
-
Harry - thanks for the reply. I'm confused though, if the problem was with my ISP's DNS servers, wouldn't the problem also show up when running Windows XP?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
falcon
Harry - thanks for the reply. I'm confused though, if the problem was with my ISP's DNS servers, wouldn't the problem also show up when running Windows XP?
Yes, it would. Doesn't it?
OK, assuming the answer is no then I really don't know the source of the problem. In my case it's my ISP's DNS servers.
I guess there's always a chance that when it has multiple DNS servers Windows XP tries the second one faster than Linux does, but I don't have any real data to back that up. On experiment might be to configure both XP and Linux wiith only one DNS server and see how tthings behave then.
-
No, I don't get this problem in WinXP. As a matter of fact, I never had this problem in the last version of Knoppix I used (I think it was 3.4). I've only seen it in 3.8.2.
Similar Threads
-
By Al Hayes in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-05-2004, 11:57 AM
-
By Pokec in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-07-2003, 07:39 PM
-
By oreo in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
-
By geebee2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM
-
By Juny in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99