Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: I need some help from LILO expert

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    I need some help from LILO expert

    If I have the linux/knoppix installed on a secondary harddisk, or anything disk other than hda(say hdc1), how should I setup the lilo.conf ?

    I have googled and read all those howto's but most of them assume linux is on hda.

    How should I specify the "boot=" option as well as the "image=", "root=" and "initrd=" options ? I tried to find out how lilo works but none of the lilo howto's mention it and the man page of lilo.conf is too confusing for me on this regard.

    thanks for any help in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    Well, it may be a little "below" your level, but like I tell everyone else that has trouble with lilo, try GAG. It's mind numbingly simple and I've yet to find a way to configure it wrong, even with things on multiple drives.

    [edit]
    Please post a link to the software you refer to in your post it makes it easier for people to find what you are refering too. You can get GAG here[/edit]

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    no it is not below my level, just not suitable

    I need to play with lilo for the sole reason that I don't want to touch floppy(I know it is actually easier and less dangerous to play with floppy).

    Another reason with lilo is that I can't spare a seperate linux partition(which I guess is a must for GAG) meaning I am playing with the same /dev/hda1 boot sector that is shared with my XP.

    I know I can have lilo at the MBR and chain boot into the XP bootloader but my family members would be scared away for that mysterious lilo prompt, they prefer the XP boot prompt

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    I think you want the -b option to install to a partition on hd?.
    ie. /sbin/lilo -b /dev/hd? - where ? = partition number where you want to install the bootloader. If you just specify hdb then it puts it on the MBR of hdb instead of a partition.

    Then use XP bootloader to boot to that partition.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Every Linux partition you want to boot must have LILO installed to it. Additionally you can edit your lilo.conf and tell it which parittion to install to. GAG (just like any boot manager) will simply point to the partition you want to boot but if your family prefers the XP bootloader then no GAG won't work for you.

    So here's what happens in chain booting: You boot your boot manager (whichever one you use) - you get a selection menu, when you choose to boot "OS Whatever" you're really just pointing to a bootable partition which also has a boot loader in it. So you activate the boot loader in that partition which then proceeds to boot your OS. Effectually you use a boot loader twice when you multi-boot.

    BTW- GAG doesn't need its own partition, it installs in the outer edge of the disk just like any other boot manager including ntloader but GAG gives you a nice looking menu, nicer than LILO nicer than NTLDR fer sure!

    Does XP have a new bootloader or is MS still using NTLDR? IF you absolutely MUST have the XP bootloader then install LILO to your Linux partition and edit the XP boot loader to point to it. How? - Sorry but I have no idea. I too have family that has yet to give up windows but fortunately they don't do it on my machine!

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix firewall.tbz expert mode JOE
    By y23 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 09:42 AM
  2. Spamassassin expert here ?
    By garyng in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2003, 08:38 AM
  3. unix command expert here ?
    By garyng in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-03-2003, 07:35 AM
  4. Fonts in KDE/X, any expert here ?
    By garyng in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-30-2003, 06:31 PM
  5. expert mode
    By mutante in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-08-2003, 02:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS  PromBlaster picture

Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS PromBlaster

$895.00



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$139.98



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE

$249.00



Vintage Coach Signature Embossed Leather Tobacco Tablet E-Reader Case 8” picture

Vintage Coach Signature Embossed Leather Tobacco Tablet E-Reader Case 8”

$79.99



Vintage Macintosh Compuserve Version 1 Membership Kit PC Magazine Mac New Sealed picture

Vintage Macintosh Compuserve Version 1 Membership Kit PC Magazine Mac New Sealed

$999.99



Vintage Apple IIgs 3.5” & 5.25” Floppy Disk Drives A9M0106 A9M0107 Untested picture

Vintage Apple IIgs 3.5” & 5.25” Floppy Disk Drives A9M0106 A9M0107 Untested

$115.00



Vintage Computer Sun Ultra 1 UltraSpark Driven - Mystery condition as-is Parts picture

Vintage Computer Sun Ultra 1 UltraSpark Driven - Mystery condition as-is Parts

$49.78



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP

$299.99



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00