Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Locking up not playing nice Box :(

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4

    Locking up not playing nice Box :(

    Well I just built a new Knoppix box and I have been trying to load stuff and it behaves sometimes. Right now I am in the bios checking the tempatures for the CPU and the system. It isnt overheating but its not staying very cool either. It is possible my Hard-drive is overheating but it doesnt feel abnormally hot to me. Steady tempature for the CPU is 93f and 100f for the box.

    Basically the thing locks up on me randomly when I am apt-get installing and when I click on the little K icon just randomly sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. Perhaps I am getting some sort of error but I wouldnt know because I havent been able to get into the system.log files yet.


    Any suggestions to what may be the cause would be very helpful.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Is this a HD installed system or a running from CD system. Knoppix 3.9 from CD is buggy and installing programs in a running system may crash that system. If this is a HD installed system, have you look into using something like xsensors http://freshmeat.net/projects/xsensors/ to check the temps on a running system? Definitly get a chance to check the logs.
    I look forward to you running a stable system

    James

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4
    Well I am backup and running and btw it is a hard-drive install of 3.8 I started playing with hardware. I figured it to be some bad RAM. so I am running on half RAM now 256 but its still working well. Also thanks I got Xsensors and its pretty nifty.

Similar Threads

  1. locking the screen
    By jbeck in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-15-2006, 09:20 AM
  2. qtparted keeps locking up
    By Wh0M3 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2006, 08:09 PM
  3. 3.8.1 started locking up
    By atrick-pay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 05:04 AM
  4. Locking up on boot getting very annoyed!!
    By Zeus in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 03:52 AM
  5. THUMBDRIVE locking up Knoppix...........why?
    By TROLL1357 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-14-2004, 02:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



MSI PRO B850M-A WiFi Motherboard with AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D 16-Core CPU 4.3 GHz picture

MSI PRO B850M-A WiFi Motherboard with AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D 16-Core CPU 4.3 GHz

$600.00



Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6 picture

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6

$14.99



CPU-RAM-MOBO COMBO-  32gb DDR4 3600MHz, i5 CPU, Asus Prime Motherboard picture

CPU-RAM-MOBO COMBO- 32gb DDR4 3600MHz, i5 CPU, Asus Prime Motherboard

$370.00



Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU picture

Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU

$74.99



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$69.99



Intel Core i5-14600KF Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

Intel Core i5-14600KF Unlocked Desktop Processor

$259.99



GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4 picture

GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4

$229.95



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$768.00