Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Locking up not playing nice Box :(

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4

    Locking up not playing nice Box :(

    Well I just built a new Knoppix box and I have been trying to load stuff and it behaves sometimes. Right now I am in the bios checking the tempatures for the CPU and the system. It isnt overheating but its not staying very cool either. It is possible my Hard-drive is overheating but it doesnt feel abnormally hot to me. Steady tempature for the CPU is 93f and 100f for the box.

    Basically the thing locks up on me randomly when I am apt-get installing and when I click on the little K icon just randomly sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. Perhaps I am getting some sort of error but I wouldnt know because I havent been able to get into the system.log files yet.


    Any suggestions to what may be the cause would be very helpful.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Is this a HD installed system or a running from CD system. Knoppix 3.9 from CD is buggy and installing programs in a running system may crash that system. If this is a HD installed system, have you look into using something like xsensors http://freshmeat.net/projects/xsensors/ to check the temps on a running system? Definitly get a chance to check the logs.
    I look forward to you running a stable system

    James

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4
    Well I am backup and running and btw it is a hard-drive install of 3.8 I started playing with hardware. I figured it to be some bad RAM. so I am running on half RAM now 256 but its still working well. Also thanks I got Xsensors and its pretty nifty.

Similar Threads

  1. locking the screen
    By jbeck in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-15-2006, 09:20 AM
  2. qtparted keeps locking up
    By Wh0M3 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2006, 08:09 PM
  3. 3.8.1 started locking up
    By atrick-pay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 05:04 AM
  4. Locking up on boot getting very annoyed!!
    By Zeus in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 03:52 AM
  5. THUMBDRIVE locking up Knoppix...........why?
    By TROLL1357 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-14-2004, 02:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch picture

NVIDIA Jetson TK1 + Intel NUC Compute Cluster Tray w/ Netgear 16-Port Switch

$499.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server picture

VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server

$100.00



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book picture

Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book

$37.49



BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD picture

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD

$169.99



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99