Quote Originally Posted by vikramkr
Lol. That thread looks farmiliar. So, can I use a USB flash drive and format it for Knoppix, and use that instead of my normal (C) HDD? Also, is there anyway I can make a partition using Windows XP?
If you have more space on you hard drive you can certainly make a FAT partition. The problem is that most people fill their hard drive (or the vendor that sold them the computer filled it) with one big NTFS partition. If you had two partitions then you might delete one and remake a FAT partition, but since you said above that you only had hda1 then I don't think this will work for you. There is nothing that comes in Windows that lets you shrink your NTFS partition to make space for a FAT partition. There are third party commercial products that will try to do it. Partition Magic worked for me, although other have reported that they lost all of their data trying it. I know of no free Windows program (but you're free to search). I've heard talk that the Linux program qparted might be able to do it. It is included in Knoppix. But I would urge a lot of searching the forums and reading everything with the word qparted in it before you try that. And have a good backup of your data.

Putting another hard drive in would be a simple solution (far less expensive than buying a copy of Partition Magic.) You could get a small size drive dirt cheap or even find an old computer with a drive you could salvage. It doesn't have to be very big and lots of computers with "small" drives and the "small" drive themselves are thrown away every day. And by "small" I mean drives larger that the hard drive I paid $1000.00 for 10 years ago.