Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Problem in booting from CD

  1. #1

    Problem in booting from CD

    I have Knoppix 3.7 in my Hard Disk.

    My computer allows me to boot from CD, before booting from HDD.

    I am able to boot Live CDs like Mepis, Dyne:Bolic, Knoppix 3.6, etc. without any problem.

    However, it is not allowing booting from CD when I try to boot a Linux distribution (www.vigyaancd.org) based on Knoppix 3.7. It simply ignores and boots only from HDD. My Hard Disk also has Knoppix 3.7

    My question is : if Live CD and HDD both have the same "base", will it not boot from Live CD ? How can I overcome this ?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Problem in booting from CD

    Quote Originally Posted by balakrishnan
    I have Knoppix 3.7 in my Hard Disk.

    My computer allows me to boot from CD, before booting from HDD.

    I am able to boot Live CDs like Mepis, Dyne:Bolic, Knoppix 3.6, etc. without any problem.

    However, it is not allowing booting from CD when I try to boot a Linux distribution (www.vigyaancd.org) based on Knoppix 3.7. It simply ignores and boots only from HDD. My Hard Disk also has Knoppix 3.7

    My question is : if Live CD and HDD both have the same "base", will it not boot from Live CD ? How can I overcome this ?
    I think you're understanding of the problem is flawed, that what you think is the problem is not the problem at all. Booting a bootable CD will not be dependemt on what is on your hard disk at all, or even if you have a hard disk. I think it is likely that there is some reason that the CD you are failing to boot will not boot on that system, and that you are jumping to conclusions that it is because of something on the hard disk.

    What do you see when you try to boot the CD that you want to boot but can't? Does it get to the first boot prompt? If it gets further than that we need to know what error you get and at what point it gives up the CD boot and jumps to the hard disk.

    My best guess, and it's only a guess at this time, is that there is something wrong about the way that you burnt that CD, and I rather suspect that it was burnt at too high of a speed. But give us more details of what you see when you try to boot it (or if I'm right go back and make one at a slow burn speed) and we'll work you through it.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    P.S. There is a reported bug of Knoppix hanging in some cases when it see the NTFS partition but not when the hard drive is removed. But this is very different from what you are reportung and I do not believe it is related.

  4. #4

    Re: Problem in booting from CD

    I think you're understanding of the problem is flawed, that what you think is the problem is not the problem at all. Booting a bootable CD will not be dependemt on what is on your hard disk at all, or even if you have a hard disk. I think it is likely that there is some reason that the CD you are failing to boot will not boot on that system, and that you are jumping to conclusions that it is because of something on the hard disk.

    What do you see when you try to boot the CD that you want to boot but can't? Does it get to the first boot prompt? If it gets further than that we need to know what error you get and at what point it gives up the CD boot and jumps to the hard disk.

    My best guess, and it's only a guess at this time, is that there is something wrong about the way that you burnt that CD, and I rather suspect that it was burnt at too high of a speed. But give us more details of what you see when you try to boot it (or if I'm right go back and make one at a slow burn speed) and we'll work you through it.


    Reply :

    1. Since the same CD is able to boot from other PCs, there is no problem about the CD. Further, I have been using the same speed (4x) to burn ISOs. I never had any problem.

    2. As I mentioned, I am able to boot other Live CDs - including Knoppix 3.6 in this PC having Knoppix 3.7 in Hard Disk.

    3. However, wihtout giving any warning, it simply ignores the CD when I boot "vigyaancd", a distribution based on Knoppix 3.7.

    4. Since I don't get any error, I can only say that it accepts the CD for booting - but simply ignores and goes to HDD for booting.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Problem in booting from CD

    Quote Originally Posted by balakrishnan
    1. Since the same CD is able to boot from other PCs, there is no problem about the CD. Further, I have been using the same speed (4x) to burn ISOs. I never had any problem.
    Actualy, we've seen many problems where a cd will boot fine on one CD and not on another and it's still a problem with the CD (too fast of a burn, some drives deal with high speed burns better than other I guess). But if you burnt the ISO at 4x then I don't expect that is your problem. I don't know what it is though if it's not media related. Have you tried booting with Smart Boot Manager???

Similar Threads

  1. problem at booting ... please need help !
    By noScape in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 01:38 PM
  2. A problem while booting
    By Ifrit in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-03-2006, 01:04 PM
  3. Problem Booting
    By coonah in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-06-2006, 10:12 PM
  4. Booting problem.. :|
    By JUSTiNB in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2005, 05:52 AM
  5. Problem booting
    By REMslug in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 05:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Rare Packard Bell R500 A950-TWR with Microsoft Windows 95 Microsoft Plus picture

Vintage Rare Packard Bell R500 A950-TWR with Microsoft Windows 95 Microsoft Plus

$175.00



NEW* AMD Athlon 4850e 4GB ATI X1050 Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games picture

NEW* AMD Athlon 4850e 4GB ATI X1050 Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games

$389.00



NEW* AMD Athlon 4850e 4GB ATI X300 Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games picture

NEW* AMD Athlon 4850e 4GB ATI X300 Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games

$349.00



NEW* AMD Athlon 4850e Nvidia Quadro Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games picture

NEW* AMD Athlon 4850e Nvidia Quadro Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games

$449.00



Vintage Beige PC Tower Computer Case/Chassis with Front Drive Bays (Read Bellow) picture

Vintage Beige PC Tower Computer Case/Chassis with Front Drive Bays (Read Bellow)

$95.00



Vintage Compaq SLT/386s/20 laptop Boots to DOS, power supply, CMOS dead working picture

Vintage Compaq SLT/386s/20 laptop Boots to DOS, power supply, CMOS dead working

$345.00



Vintage Gray AC Power Cable Cord 3-Prong Plug to 3-Prong 3-Slot Connector picture

Vintage Gray AC Power Cable Cord 3-Prong Plug to 3-Prong 3-Slot Connector

$50.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh StyleWriter Software 4 Disk Set Version 1.2 3.5” Floppy picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh StyleWriter Software 4 Disk Set Version 1.2 3.5” Floppy

$24.99



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$228.19



Vintage Texas Instruments Home Computer TI-99/4A - Games & accessories Untested picture

Vintage Texas Instruments Home Computer TI-99/4A - Games & accessories Untested

$79.95