Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: remastering problem in /etc/skel with knoppix 3.9

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16

    remastering problem in /etc/skel with knoppix 3.9

    I have remastered knoppix 3.9 with UnderScore's way. (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13867)
    But after remastering, I got a big problem.
    I can't change directory to my '/etc/skel'. If I do that my system will be dead.
    like this
    Code:
    cd /etc/skel/.kde
    ls <- system is frozen
    also /etc/skel cant rsync to /home/knoppix
    so when I boot with my remastered cd, there's basic KDE interface and default fonts set.

    what's the problem?? and How can I solve it?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16
    Ofcourse, My cd and cd writer are OK, perfect.
    I have tested in 3 CDRW, and 1 CDR

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2

    Re: remastering problem in /etc/skel with knoppix 3.9

    Quote Originally Posted by GunSmoke
    I have remastered knoppix 3.9 with UnderScore's way. (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13867)
    But after remastering, I got a big problem.
    I can't change directory to my '/etc/skel'. If I do that my system will be dead.
    like this
    Code:
    cd /etc/skel/.kde
    ls <- system is frozen
    also /etc/skel cant rsync to /home/knoppix
    so when I boot with my remastered cd, there's basic KDE interface and default fonts set.

    what's the problem?? and How can I solve it?
    Probably it's a crash of unionfs. Check the kernel messages with dmesg and look for a unionfs crash.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    I did some remastering & testing with Knoppix 3.9 with my HOWTO & I too have ran into the same problem that Gunsmoke had mentioned. I checked with diff the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xession from both Knoppix 3.8.1 & Knoppix 3.9 and they are the same. So if it is not the 45xession (which populates the /home/knoppix/) causing the problem then Kahuna is probably very correct in that it is unionfs causing problems. I will continue to investigate this.

    James

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103
    I have overcomed this problem by doing the following:

    Instead of doing the following after the costimising my new version:
    code:
    rm -rf /etc/skel
    mv -Rp /home/knoppix /etc/skel
    chown -R root:root /etc/skel

    I did the following:

    I did not delete /etc/skel
    I copied all the hidden folders in /home/knoppix to /etc/skel.
    I cpied .kderc to /etc/skel
    chown -R root:root /etc/skel
    chown -R knoppix:knoppix /home/knoppix/.kde/share/config
    chown -R knoppix:knoppix /home/knoppix/.kde/share/apps

    And I got all working. But still there is a problem with /UNIONFS/etc like in the original Knoppix 3.9 as I mentioned on my post.

Similar Threads

  1. Problem Remastering with Knoppix 5.1.1
    By Knoppix_ava1 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2007, 09:01 AM
  2. Problem with Remastering Knoppix 4.0
    By casanova2020 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-17-2006, 07:28 PM
  3. /etc/skel problem
    By vijirin in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-24-2005, 04:40 PM
  4. Contents of /etc/skel not copied to /home/knoppix
    By bhaskar in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-03-2005, 05:24 PM
  5. Hard coded /home/knoppix into skel files
    By Andrew Foster in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2003, 10:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5

Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 48GB DDR4

$128.96



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5

HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5"x2 Server Blade SEE NOTES

$21.08



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08