-
MBR & GRUB *solved*
Hey everyone,
I just made a new 60 GB partition on my hard drive just for Kanotix. I copied all of my Kanotix stuff to that partition with Norton Ghost (Yes, I did it in Windows). So now I have a big 60GB partition with Kanotix and 10GB partition with the exact same thing. I tried making a new Kanotix boot line in my grub (so it boots from the 60GB partition). Rebooted. Yes, it's there.
Now... The problem comes up...
How can I change it so the grub boots from my new 60GB partition instead of the old 10GB one? I would like to get rid of the old one or make it a backup or a FAT32 so I can share my stuff between Windows and Linux.
I know this isn't a Kanotix forum but most people @ kanotix.com speak German... I speak English... I think 
Thanks!
-
Senior Member
registered user
on, you have to configure your grub... meaning, you have to instert code in the grub.config file...
Code:
default=[the partion you want's name]
<-- thats what you have to kinda insert... but i have never used grub... so me information is limited... sorry.. thats all i can give you...
the most likely place the grub.config file be is /etc/grub.config...
have fun (you can do other stuff there too)...
-
Re: MBR & GRUB

Originally Posted by
Krogen
Hey everyone,
I just made a new 60 GB partition on my hard drive just for Kanotix. I copied all of my Kanotix stuff to that partition with Norton Ghost (Yes, I did it in Windows). So now I have a big 60GB partition with Kanotix and 10GB partition with the exact same thing. I tried making a new Kanotix boot line in my grub (so it boots from the 60GB partition). Rebooted. Yes, it's there. Now... The problem comes up...
How can I change it so the grub boots from my new 60GB partition instead of the old 10GB one? I would like to get rid of the old one or make it a backup or a FAT32 so I can share my stuff between Windows and Linux.
I know this isn't a Kanotix forum but most people @ kanotix.com speak German... I speak English... I think

Thanks!
You have to modify your menu.lst to access the new drive. To help you to figure out what to change, you can enter the interactive mode of grub once in the grub menu at boot time by pressing the [c] key. the [Tab] key will give you a list of the commands and will perfom autocompletion. As an example you can type "kernel (hd" [TAB] and grub will list you all the disk drives and partitions available. Be aware that for grub (hd0,0) = /dev/hda1 for linux, and (hd1,2) = /dev/hdb3,... Cheers, Gilles
-
Senior Member
registered user
http://forum.kanotix.net/ , than go to English Forum
-

Originally Posted by
tdjokic
http://forum.kanotix.net/, than go to English Forum
Wow... Really... Like I didn't know. Your link has a , on the end thus making it not work, too. Sorry for being an a$$ but I hate when people are trying to tell other people the obvious...
The whole English forum has only couple thousandths posts!
@ ruymbeke
Which menu.lst would I want to configure? I can access the new drive (partition) and boot from it. The only problem is that I will delete the old one... What's the point of modifying menu.lst on that partition if I want to delete it? *confused*
-

Originally Posted by
Krogen
Which menu.lst would I want to configure? I can access the new drive (partition) and boot from it. The only problem is that I will delete the old one... What's the point of modifying menu.lst on that partition if I want to delete it? *confused*
First you need to reinstall grub with the same settings: the install will update both the MBR of the disk and the boot sector of one partition of your new disk. Then everything should work right if your config is correct. What I was trying to tell you is that if something goes wrong, you have access to a command line prompt, to figure out how to boot. With the "e" key (edit) from the grub menu you can temporary modify one menu.lst boot config to make a correction and boot. This kind of things is not possible with lilo... Hope this helps. Good luck, Gilles
-

Originally Posted by
ruymbeke

Originally Posted by
Krogen
Which menu.lst would I want to configure? I can access the new drive (partition) and boot from it. The only problem is that I will delete the old one... What's the point of modifying menu.lst on that partition if I want to delete it? *confused*
First you need to reinstall grub with the same settings: the install will update both the MBR of the disk and the boot sector of one partition of your new disk. Then everything should work right if your config is correct. What I was trying to tell you is that if something goes wrong, you have access to a command line prompt, to figure out how to boot. With the "e" key (edit) from the grub menu you can temporary modify one menu.lst boot config to make a correction and boot. This kind of things is not possible with lilo... Hope this helps. Good luck, Gilles
SUCCESS!!
I rebooted my PC, pressed "c" in the Grub menu and did "setup (hd0) (hd0,1)", which installed the Grub to the 60GB partition. Rebooted again. Went to Windows, formatted the sda4 (10GB partition) as FAT32. Rebooted. Selected the new Kanotix boot line, booted. Got an error that it can't find SDA4 (at least that's how I understood the error message). Rebooted again with the Knoppix Live CD. Went to the fstab file on my 60GB partition, edited it so instead of SDA4 it says SDA2, rebooted.
WORKS.
Thanks!!! (Without the general reinstalling idea I woulnd't know what to do)
Similar Threads
-
By antsu in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-08-2008, 08:33 PM
-
By NoMansLand in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-26-2008, 04:18 PM
-
By Elwood55 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 03-17-2007, 10:01 PM
-
By marciano in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-06-2003, 12:00 PM
-
By FoGia in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 09-05-2003, 09:39 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series
$235.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$71.49

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...
$89.99

Asus Prime B660M-A AC D4 Motherboard Intel LGA 1700 14th 13th 12th Gen DDR4
$79.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard
$351.99