Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Looking to increase the size of the 'drive'...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3

    Looking to increase the size of the 'drive'...

    space that Knoppix has available from the Live CD.

    Oh, and hi everyone


    This may seem like an odd scenario, but I implore thee, hear me out! I Wanted to try out Linux (have for some time) so finally decided to get around to downloading the newest Mandriva LE2005 ISOs. I downloaded the images and successfully burned them to disc (or so I thought/think) and went to install. Alas I got an error message every time. I thought maybe it had something to do with Windows already being on the system (though everything told me that wasn't the case) and was jonesing to get rid of Windows, so I deleted the partition and tried again. Alas, no luck with the Mandriva. Convinced I had somehow gotten incomplete/corrupt files, I went over to my brother's and downloaded the Knoppix LiveCD ISO, and apon return to my place got everything booted up quickly and efficiently from the CD, no problems with anything (even have sound!) I want to re-download the Mandriva ISOs and attempt to burn them again, but while the first ISO is at about half way complete, I get an error saying
    "Could not write file /ramdisk/home/knoppix/Desktop/Mandriva-Linux-2005-Limited-Edition-Download-CD1.i586.iso. Disk full."

    Is there a way that I can increase the size of the ramdisk that Knoppix has available, so that I can download the ISOs and hopefully start chipping away at Linux? If this is easy and basic knowledge I do appologize. I am entirely new to Linux and have no Unix experience. I have a 120gig hardrive with no partitions currently on it (unless Knoppix writes some during it's initialization) so assigning a size large enough for the three ISOs is not a problem, I simply lack the basic knowhow Any help is much appreciated by this very greatful Lewbie (is that a word? could I have just coined a new nerddome phrase?! )

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3
    Oh, and for the record, the hard-drive is a Western Digital. QTparted had no problem 'seeing' it and listing the (in this case, lack of) partitions.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In a house... hopefully
    Posts
    554
    s there a way that I can increase the size of the ramdisk that Knoppix has available
    two words...

    SWAP DRIVE!!!


    . also use a lighter desktop too... one like Icewm, or xfce... to access them use the bootcodes in the boot menu

    Code:
    knoppix desktop=icewm
    or
    knoppix desktop=xfce
    also...remember to burn these types of disks at a very slow burning speed... REAL SLOWLY!!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3
    For now, I think I'm going to stick with the KDE desktop, as it is nice and fluffy and transitional

    As for making a swap drive, I went to QTParted and attempted to make a linux swap drive, however on the attempt to mount I got an error regardless of if I tried 'swap', 'linux swap', 'lswap' and a whole host of other names for the filesystem type (using mount -t filetype soonsoforth). I did manage to make ext2/3 partitions and mount (and much to my suprise, unmount! yay!) them successfully, so I think I simply did not know what to call linux swap in the code. For future refrence (because all goggling on the topic says for me to type in 'swap') what would you call that filetype when attempting to mount?

    Or, is the problem that I used QTParted (instead of the shell prompt) to make the partition? Or perhaps you're refering to something completely different and I am just a clueless Linux newb?

    The files are downloading onto an ft3 partition I made that is plenty big enough to hold them all, so (knock on wood) should be running around mandriva and getting messy with commands in short order, thank you for the help!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Looking to increase the size of the 'drive'...

    --Ummm... Dude, you're trying to save a 700MB ISO to a *ramdisk.*

    --See this post to learn how to activate your spare-drive space: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19521

    --If the 120-gig is the only drive on your system, it's pretty easy; but if it's the "slave" drive, you'll have to use "/dev/hdbX" for the partitions. Use ' cfdisk /dev/hda ' (or hdb) to create partitions if necessary.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTak
    space that Knoppix has available from the Live CD.

    Oh, and hi everyone


    This may seem like an odd scenario, but I implore thee, hear me out! I Wanted to try out Linux (have for some time) so finally decided to get around to downloading the newest Mandriva LE2005 ISOs. I downloaded the images and successfully burned them to disc (or so I thought/think) and went to install. Alas I got an error message every time. I thought maybe it had something to do with Windows already being on the system (though everything told me that wasn't the case) and was jonesing to get rid of Windows, so I deleted the partition and tried again. Alas, no luck with the Mandriva. Convinced I had somehow gotten incomplete/corrupt files, I went over to my brother's and downloaded the Knoppix LiveCD ISO, and apon return to my place got everything booted up quickly and efficiently from the CD, no problems with anything (even have sound!) I want to re-download the Mandriva ISOs and attempt to burn them again, but while the first ISO is at about half way complete, I get an error saying
    "Could not write file /ramdisk/home/knoppix/Desktop/Mandriva-Linux-2005-Limited-Edition-Download-CD1.i586.iso. Disk full."

    Is there a way that I can increase the size of the ramdisk that Knoppix has available, so that I can download the ISOs and hopefully start chipping away at Linux? If this is easy and basic knowledge I do appologize. I am entirely new to Linux and have no Unix experience. I have a 120gig hardrive with no partitions currently on it (unless Knoppix writes some during it's initialization) so assigning a size large enough for the three ISOs is not a problem, I simply lack the basic knowhow Any help is much appreciated by this very greatful Lewbie (is that a word? could I have just coined a new nerddome phrase?! )

Similar Threads

  1. Increase size of persistent disk image
    By nnigam in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2007, 03:15 PM
  2. How can I increase disc size?
    By PJ35 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-04-2007, 07:47 PM
  3. cannot recognize the full size of 200GB Maxtor Hard drive
    By ismxray in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-29-2005, 05:45 AM
  4. 0 byte file size and lost chains with 200GB firewire drive
    By eviscerate in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-24-2003, 02:38 PM
  5. Knoppix Customization Image Size Increase
    By in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 01:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



Transcend 96GB (6x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC UDIMM Server RAM TS2GLH72V6B picture

Transcend 96GB (6x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC UDIMM Server RAM TS2GLH72V6B

$299.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A picture

Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A

$89.95



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q

$185.00



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$85.00