Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Knoppix HD autoconfiguration (timezone)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix HD autoconfiguration (timezone)

    Dear All,

    I would like to discuss a feature, which is looking as a minor bug for me. This is work of autoconfiguration script knoppix-autoconfig, which change timezone on every boot depending on selected language. This is, indeed, very inconvinient and confusing for HDD installation. And, at the moment, could not be turned OFF except editing this script.

    Recently I was helping one of my Dutch (timezone Europe/Amsterdam) friends who wanted language to be EN and was upset with timezone setting not saved between booting resulting with time being incorrect.

    Possible solutions:

    1) Modify knoppix-autoconfig to allow such autoconfigurations to be switched OFF and add a new option for booting.
    2) Make a new script knoppix-hdd-autoconfig which would avoid doing a lot of staff which is constant for HDD installation (including changing fstab!).
    3) Use Configuration save mode also for HDD installations so all customisations are re-applied every boot like for CDROM version.

    Note: I'm a long time Debian user but spent too much time to fight against broken dependencies and missing modules, so migrated most of my installations from Debian Sarge to Knoppix 3.[7|8].

    Pavel.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In a house... hopefully
    Posts
    554
    two things...

    Control center... see if there is anything under there.. make sure you as root, just incase... does that help??

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2

    It is better in 3.9

    This is exactly my point: saved configuration got overwritten by one of startup scripts!

    May be I should be installing in Debian mode not in Knoppix. But it is too late anyway (3 PC migrated).

    One good news: in 3.9 this script changed in such way that 'tz' setting, when provided as kernel boot option,would overwrite the language default. But not for other ones (keyboard and etc).

    So this posting is just for other people to know.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: It is better in 3.9

    Quote Originally Posted by pavel7nl
    May be I should be installing in Debian mode not in Knoppix.
    I can't say I have experienced a TZ issue as I am in the US and I use EN. I think that Debian mode is more stable than knoppix mode. I think Knoppix mode keeps the knoppix-autoconfig & knoppix-* scripts on the PC where as in the Debian mode, those scripts are not run.

    As for Debian sarge, I installed a plain sarge box from CD1. Then I installed KDE. I added a line to the sources.list & then installed KDE 3.4.1. Quite simple & gives me the benefits of Debian stable plus brand new KDE.

Similar Threads

  1. [FIX] KNOPPIX not showing correct language / Timezone fix
    By onemyndseye in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-08-2007, 05:48 PM
  2. USB autoconfiguration
    By refusedRfukinDead in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-2006, 11:36 PM
  3. Timezone don't work in knoppix-autoconfig
    By tr in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-10-2005, 11:25 AM
  4. system timezone setting: more 'knoppix-like' suggestions?
    By olivers in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-24-2004, 10:07 PM
  5. Knoppix Hardware Autoconfiguration
    By Rajaat in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 05:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Crucial 16GB DDR4 3200MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM Memory Module CT16G4SFRA32A.C8FF picture

Crucial 16GB DDR4 3200MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM Memory Module CT16G4SFRA32A.C8FF

$55.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Crucial RAM 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 MHz CL22 Desktop Memory CT2K16G4DFRA32A picture

Crucial RAM 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 MHz CL22 Desktop Memory CT2K16G4DFRA32A

$124.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 DIMM Intel XMP 2.0 F4-3200C16D picture

G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 DIMM Intel XMP 2.0 F4-3200C16D

$75.00



Kingston 16GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-19200 2400MHz Memory Module KCP424SD8/16 picture

Kingston 16GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-19200 2400MHz Memory Module KCP424SD8/16

$55.00