Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Saving Configuration Settings to a CD

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Lewisville, Texas
    Posts
    11

    Saving Configuration Settings to a CD

    Now that I've learned how to save my configurations to a floppy disc (see previous postings), I have another problem. I have another, newer computer that doesn't have a floppy drive. I'll have to burn the configuration files to a CD or DVD and then be able to read them back. How can I do this?

    Thanks in advance for your suggestions

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Saving Configuration Settings to a CD

    Quote Originally Posted by tstrickland
    ....newer computer that doesn't have a floppy drive. I'll have to burn the configuration files to a CD or DVD....
    You likely don't. At a minimum it would require 2 CD/DVD drives, since one will be containing the Knoppix CD at the point the configuration files are needed. And you would have to reburn a disc whenever you changed the configuration (hope you use CR/RW). Far better would be to use a small inexpensive USB flash drive. Or, if you have an old IDE drive lying around (or want to buy a small cheap drive), add it to the computer as a second drive and put a FAT partition on it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Lewisville, Texas
    Posts
    11

    CD Drives

    Harry,

    Thanks for your comments. In fact, I do have two drives. One is a CD/DVD-RW and the other is a CD-ROM drive (I hope I've used the correct terminology here.) Anyway, I can read a CD from both drives and burn to one.

    Nevertheless, I'll look into the USB flash drive.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203
    I save my configuration settings to my hard driver, hda2. It only involves a couple of files and it's very convenient. When I reboot I type:

    knoppix myconfig=scan

    When I want to preserve those settings to a cdrom I use k3b to do the job .

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Lewisville, Texas
    Posts
    11

    Saving Configuration

    At Harry's suggestion I got a USB flash drive. Then I had problems getting KNOPPIX LINUX to recognize it and save my configurtion files to it. After much trial and error, I found a solution that works for me. First, I boot up using the KNOPPIX cheatcode:

    knoppix usb2

    Upon loading, Linux recognizes the flash drive and will store my configuration on it. On all subsequent boots, I use the cheatcode:

    knoppix usb2 config=scan

    This causes Linux to recognize the flash drive and use the configuration file stored on it.

    I appreciate the suggestions you've all made. Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Saving Configuration Settings
    By RG58 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-19-2008, 03:55 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 02:16 AM
  3. saving settings
    By punkpaddy in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2003, 08:45 AM
  4. saving settings
    By ankit in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2003, 03:23 AM
  5. Saving settings to a URL?
    By true1ever in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-13-2003, 02:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU picture

8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU

$1100.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge R740 E38S001 Server E38S picture

Dell PowerEdge R740 E38S001 Server E38S

$660.00



DELL PowerEdge R730XD Server 2x E5-2690v4 2.6GHz =28 Cores 64GB H730 4xRJ45 picture

DELL PowerEdge R730XD Server 2x E5-2690v4 2.6GHz =28 Cores 64GB H730 4xRJ45

$653.00