Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Networkless comp install problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1

    Networkless comp install problems

    I have been installing knoppix 5.0.1 onto an old, networkless computer with a 10 gig hd. I've allways been able to run the live cd on this computer, but after startup, all I get is a command prompt. I can log in, but I don't know how to start KDE and all I get is a command prompt. Is there a command that I need to use to start KDE?

    Also, if this is the root of the problems, durring installation, the konsole was flashing errors like
    Code:
    cp reading `[path to file]': Input/output error
    all over the place. I think that the cd wasn't able to copy a large portion of the stuff that it needs to the hard disk (even though I partitioned it so that it has 1 gig of swap and 9 gigs of ext3 space labled as "/").

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1
    At the command prompt type: startx
    or type: init 5

Similar Threads

  1. How do I connect a windows comp to linux comp?
    By pluto in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-17-2005, 06:34 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2005, 11:08 AM
  3. install problems
    By ciberrust in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-31-2005, 07:38 AM
  4. New comp coming...
    By Stealth870 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 11:09 PM
  5. Hdd Install problems
    By Ekj530 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 09:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge R740xd Dual Intel Silver 4116 @2.1GHz 32GB HBA330 24Bay Server picture

Dell PowerEdge R740xd Dual Intel Silver 4116 @2.1GHz 32GB HBA330 24Bay Server

$525.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell PowerEdge R640 1U 8SFF Server Barebones 2x Gold 5120 64GB H330 2x 750w picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 1U 8SFF Server Barebones 2x Gold 5120 64GB H330 2x 750w

$538.88



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$484.99



DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard) picture

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)

$399.95



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95