It looks like I'm running out of space on my lowly dual boot notebook, so I'm thinking about installing Kanotix to my external Firewire hard drive. I've done a little bit of homework on this already, but I'm not sure how to go about this. This is what I'd like my installation to do:
1. Boot grub on the notebook's internal HD, and set the default boot option to Windoze. That way if the HD is not turned on or connected (and I don't catch it in time) it will boot directly into Windoze.
2. Create a fairly large partition for Linux. I'm thinking something between 5 - 30 gb, but I'm not sure. This will go on the first partition of my external HD (sda1) which has 160 gb.
Any advice on how to set this up? I'm especially unclear on how to setup the boot so it will boot off the internal HD, but go to the external firewire drive if selected. My notebook's BIOS does not support booting from an external device (but it does support booting from CD-ROM, internal HD, floppy or network). I've looked at "pivot-boot", but would rather not use this method if I can avoid it.
Thanks!!

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
Intel Core Ultra 9 285K 3.70GHz 24 Core SRQD5 24 Thread LGA 1851
$435.00
Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6
$10.99
Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49
Intel Core i7-6700 SR2L2 3.40GHz 8 MB 4-Core LGA1151 Socket CPU Processor
$27.99
Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
AMD Ryzen 5 9600X Processor (Zen 5) 6-Core 3.9GHz AM5 65W Desktop CPU
$169.99
AMD Ryzen 5 9600X - Granite Ridge (Zen 5) 6-Core 3.9 GHz - AM5 CPU Processor
$155.00
LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5
$768.00