Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: no internet connection (ethernet) with 3.8/3.9

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    93

    no internet connection (ethernet) with 3.8/3.9

    I hope someone can throw me a lifeline cos I'm sleep deprived and psychosis is taking over.
    I have a 10/100 fast ethernet connection for which I can use the ethernet or a usb connection (Via technology VT6102 RhineII). Using Knoppix version 3.6 and 3.7 I can connect to the internet using the usb connection, but not using ethernet connection. At start-up with 3.6 or 3.7 if I have the usb connected the machine seems to recognize an eth0 and an eth1, but this doesn't happen if i have the ethernet connection or if i use 3.8 or 3.9. With 3.8 and 3.9 I can't seem to get a connection at all. I want to use 3.9. I have read through the forums and although I can't pretend to really understand I have tried the following so far with and without ethernet with no joy ( I've tried them all using the disk and the hard drive install. Feedback is an approximation ):

    1 sudo modprobe natsemi (runs with ethernet but with usb i get a fatal error message as well as netsemi not installed)
    pump (i get failed message)
    ifconfig -a (get a printout which basically just gives me my loopback address 127.0.0.1)
    ping www.ntlworld.com (gives a reply -unknown host whatever website i ping

    2 netcardconfig with/without the ethernet i fed the addresses in and the code ran(different address depending on which one),but when I went to the browser didn't get a connection(feedback was either unknown host or wrong name)

    3 sudo mii-tools -r feedback was invalid command

    4 /etc/init.d/networking restart (or start) - failed

    5 lspci -v, lsmod - computer lists my card

    6 pppoe connection wizard - sorry couldn't resolve, maybe another ppoe running

    7 nodhcp and acpi=off at boot - no joy

    thank you and goodnight

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    45
    I also couldn't get a connection, and also failed when I :

    Code:
    pump -i eth0
    Just for giggles, I :

    Code:
    pump -i eth1
    and it worked. Previously, I have had to pump eth0.

    Give it a try, sorry I don't have specifics, just shots in the dark.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    93
    thanks for posting. Unfortunately I still get "Operation failed", but if you hear of anything else that I could try please reply

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    As for why USB devices, as of late, have so many problems: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=82161#82161
    3. tried to mount my Lexar usb drive where I keep my install goodies. Wouldn't mount .... DMESG showed SDA1 now called UBA1..... why ???
    This is due to a linux kernel change. The very brain of the OS, the Linux kernel version 2.6.x, the internal architechture has changed and this has resulted in USB devices mapped to /dev/uba. Yes this is frustrating but going forward, this may be a permanent change. It is more logical to have USB devices at a /dev/uba1 as opposed to /dev/sda1 because /dev/sd? was created years ago for SCSI devices.
    This change occured in the time between Knoppix 3.7 & 3.8.x and the change is resident in Knoppix 3.8.x.

    1 sudo modprobe natsemi
    Unless I read your description wrong, natsemi is wrong driver for your Via technology VT6102 RhineII connection. The proper driver is via-rhine. From linux kernel 2.6.11.10 configuration help:
    If you have a VIA "Rhine" based network card (Rhine-I (VT86C100A), Rhine-II (VT6102), or Rhine-III (VT6105)), say Y here. Rhine-type Ethernet functions can also be found integrated on South Bridges (e.g. VT8235). To compile this driver as a module, choose M here. The module will be called via-rhine.
    Now that we have identified that driver, my question to you: Is that via vt6102 device the USB device or the 10/100 LAN connection either on the motherboard or as a PCI card?

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    93
    I'm blushing whilst I'm writing this cos I'm feeling more and more stupid as I go on. But I guess humiliation never hurt anyone. I didn't realise that the term natsemi referred to the driver.Without opening the computer up (and I daren't because I have already caused some sort of problem trying to partition it for a remaster) I am not sure but the system board user manual states that there is a built in ethernet LAN (10Base-TX/100Base-T Physical Layer,MII Interface to Ethernet Controller) and the USB 2.0 is a PCI multi function device consisting of 2 UHCI Host Controllers(for low speed signalling) and one EHCI Host Controller for full speed signalling.

    Times moved on from the time a wrote the first part of the post. I tried "sudo modprobe via-rhine" but that failed. I tried looking in the help files but I couldn't find the commands to bring up this passage:

    If you have a VIA "Rhine" based network card (Rhine-I (VT86C100A), Rhine-II (VT6102), or Rhine-III (VT6105)), say Y here. Rhine-type Ethernet functions can also be found integrated on South Bridges (e.g. VT8235). To compile this driver as a module, choose M here. The module will be called via-rhine.

    So I went back into pppoe config and added any module that could be remotely linked to my computer (as you said via-rhine was already there). The computer started chugging when I added PCI drivers, but I'm not sure if that was the thing that did it, but when I went back to pppoe configuration and entered dhcp-yes, it recognized my
    eth0 and eth1. Then when I did ifconfig it all came up and I was able to go back to networkcardconfiguration and Voila. Sorry I have typed this in in long form, but I am likely to forget what went on. I've posted it with my question as well.

    PS would it be naughty to send you another post about my partitioning problem if I don't find an answer somewhere

Similar Threads

  1. ethernet detected though connection not established
    By Francesco Pietra in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-29-2006, 07:02 PM
  2. no connection to internet with a T-Ethernet Modem
    By Lachinger in forum Networking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-24-2005, 11:41 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-02-2005, 05:57 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-03-2004, 05:33 AM
  5. connection to a printer server via lp ethernet
    By RigasW in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-15-2004, 12:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1671.47



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$462.74



Acer Aspire 16 16

Acer Aspire 16 16" Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V S2 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Arc Refurbished

$519.99



Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11

$250.73



128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos picture

128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos

$117.45