-
I'm blushing whilst I'm writing this cos I'm feeling more and more stupid as I go on. But I guess humiliation never hurt anyone. I didn't realise that the term natsemi referred to the driver.Without opening the computer up (and I daren't because I have already caused some sort of problem trying to partition it for a remaster) I am not sure but the system board user manual states that there is a built in ethernet LAN (10Base-TX/100Base-T Physical Layer,MII Interface to Ethernet Controller) and the USB 2.0 is a PCI multi function device consisting of 2 UHCI Host Controllers(for low speed signalling) and one EHCI Host Controller for full speed signalling.
Times moved on from the time a wrote the first part of the post. I tried "sudo modprobe via-rhine" but that failed. I tried looking in the help files but I couldn't find the commands to bring up this passage:
If you have a VIA "Rhine" based network card (Rhine-I (VT86C100A), Rhine-II (VT6102), or Rhine-III (VT6105)), say Y here. Rhine-type Ethernet functions can also be found integrated on South Bridges (e.g. VT8235). To compile this driver as a module, choose M here. The module will be called via-rhine.
So I went back into pppoe config and added any module that could be remotely linked to my computer (as you said via-rhine was already there). The computer started chugging when I added PCI drivers, but I'm not sure if that was the thing that did it, but when I went back to pppoe configuration and entered dhcp-yes, it recognized my
eth0 and eth1. Then when I did ifconfig it all came up and I was able to go back to networkcardconfiguration and Voila. Sorry I have typed this in in long form, but I am likely to forget what went on. I've posted it with my question as well.
PS would it be naughty to send you another post about my partitioning problem if I don't find an answer somewhere
Similar Threads
-
By Francesco Pietra in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-29-2006, 07:02 PM
-
By Lachinger in forum Networking
Replies: 7
Last Post: 06-24-2005, 11:41 AM
-
By pterandon in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-02-2005, 05:57 PM
-
By vip in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-03-2004, 05:33 AM
-
By RigasW in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-15-2004, 12:47 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS
$16.95

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats
$35.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

Atari 1040ST Vintage Home Computer | Turns On
$299.99

Atari ST Games LOT Battle Zone Teenage Ninja Turtles Bubble Bobble Pinball
$65.00

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller
$29.99

READ UNTESTED But Works Vintage Atari 410 Program Recorder
$34.50

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00