Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: CD-ROM recognition problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wales UK
    Posts
    12

    CD-ROM recognition problem

    I am newbie knoppix user, downloaded and burnt 3.2 2003-03-30. Works brilliantly and I am amazed. However I have one small problem which I would be grateful for advice on.

    When my pc boots Knoppix recognises both my DVD and CRW, and then on the desktop install icons for CD and CD1. However when I place say a music CD in the empty drive, the message "the drive does not exist" keeps coming up. If i try a mnt command it says the same thing.

    The same thing happens which ever drive I put knoppix in when I boot.

    I don't understand how the boot up text says it has found and mnt'd FDD, CD and CD1, but on the desktop says that the second drive doesn't exist. I want to be able to play music CDs in the empty drive

    Can anyone help please

    TIA Ritchie

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Are both drives listed in /etc/fstab?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wales UK
    Posts
    12
    Thank you very much for replying.

    yes both drives are listed. I have now solved the problem. Could nto rationalise why they would listed every where but the one not available.....then i made a discovery

    if u right click on the icon on the desktop, u get a menu, put in amusic cd and it plays!!!!.......

    I apologise for wasting people's time and am grateful for the reply. my only excuse is being new to linux.sorry and thanks again

    Ritchie

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    No need to apologize but since we're on the subject of cdroms....you cannot mount a music cd, only a data cd. You don't want to auto mount a cdrom because if there is no disc it cannot mount.

Similar Threads

  1. Monitor recognition
    By Delbor in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-30-2003, 05:51 PM
  2. Pattern Recognition
    By zoinks in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-25-2003, 01:14 AM
  3. MSI CD-RW drive recognition problem
    By CoolSilver in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-01-2003, 04:38 AM
  4. Easy Zip Drive Recognition
    By Friendly Guy in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-23-2003, 08:53 PM
  5. AsRock K7VT2 usb problem(no recognition of devices)
    By M_Hillebrand in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-26-2003, 02:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points picture

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points

$30.00



NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED picture

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED

$2999.99



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$240.00



AddOn Cisco UCSC-PCIE-CSC-02 Comparable 10Gbs Dual Open SFP+ Port Network picture

AddOn Cisco UCSC-PCIE-CSC-02 Comparable 10Gbs Dual Open SFP+ Port Network

$383.99



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver picture

Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver

$79.89