-
Junior Member
registered user
Help please - how do I install a ethernet card driver???
I'm a new Knoppix user - so far my impressions are very positive. However - I can't seem to get past first base when it comes to basic stuff.
I have two very basic questions - can someone please help me?
I want to connect my machine (P3, 500Mhz, Knoppix version 3.7; kernel 2.4.27, hard disk install) to the internet. I bought (from StarTech.com)and physically installed a cheepo ethernet card (ST100SW with a RTL81390D chip) - which knoppix failed to detect. The floppy disk that came with the card did not include a Linux driver but I was able to find several after googling "RTL81390D". Realtek Semiconductor Corp, the company that made this chip has several Linux drivers available on its web site:
(http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?series=16&Software=True#16Unix%20(Linux))
The web site has 11 different Linux drivers - 3 of which seem to be appropriate for my version of Knoppix (see list below).
* Linux driver for kernel 2.4.x (RedHat 7.2/ 7.3/ 8.0/ 9.0)
* Slackware 8.0 (kernel 2.2.19 and 2.4.5)
* SCO Unix
Can someone please tell me which driver I should use?
My last question is how the heck do I install a driver for an ethernet card? Do I simply copy it to /lib/modules? Do I have to "recompile the kernel"? (I have no idea how to do that!) Please help! I've spent a lot of time googling to find this information and have not been successfull.
Similar Threads
-
By Matthew87 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-17-2006, 02:29 AM
-
By carmat06 in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-29-2005, 01:00 AM
-
By mtaplits in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-04-2004, 09:14 AM
-
By pankepasa in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-08-2003, 02:58 AM
-
By jstaker in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-17-2003, 05:13 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID
$24.43

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00