Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: K3B won't recognise .ogg files!

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929

    K3B won't recognise .ogg files!

    This is with 3.1, folks.

    What am I missing here? I D & D an ogg file into the K3B box and a dialogue box pops up screaming:

    "(/home/knoppix/music/Romani/Acquaraglia_Drom-Ahi_Mia_Titina.ogg)
    Only MP3, Ogg Vorbis and WAV audio files are supported."

    But it is an ogg file and every other burner I've ever used on Linux recognises it as such (and xmms on this Knoppix install plays it just fine).

    What's happening?

    Cheers

    John

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I'm no software testing expert and i couldn't write enough code to make a cursor blink but I have always thought K3b to have a few bugs. Have you tried cdrecord?

    cdrecord -scanbus
    scsibus0:
    0,0,0 0) 'SONY ' 'CD-RW CRX100E ' '2.0h' Removable CD-ROM
    0,1,0 1) 'HITACHI ' 'DVD-ROM GD-2500 ' '0101' Removable CD-ROM
    0,2,0 2) *
    0,3,0 3) *
    0,4,0 4) *
    0,5,0 5) *
    0,6,0 6) *
    0,7,0 7) *


    cd /the_directory_that _contains_your_.oggs

    cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0 -audio track*.ogg


    Want to give it a test run before burning a coaster?
    cdrecord -v -dummy speed=4 dev=0,0 -audio track*.ogg

    Of course you can change speed=? whatever speed your drive is.

    I like to use cdrecord because on my machine 550Mhz w/256M I can do several other things while I roasted a disc. In windows - fugetta bout it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I've used cdrecord, but the really silly thing is that with K3B I actually found a Linux gui app which would handle data CDs really well (in the past I've used KreateCD to do the music files but never worked out how to get it to do data files!). Sheesh. I like GUIs, I guess!

    I'll drop a line to the developer, see if he has any ideas.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Hmm... not sure what the problem is. Can't say for sure it's K3B, but I have to agree with rickenbacherus that I have found k3b to be a bit flaky. I keep wanting to use it, but I keep going back to cdrecord. Cdrecord is pretty cool and in some ways it's nicer than gui tools since you can burn across a network. I have made some short aliases in my bashrc file so that when i want to blank a cd I just type "blank" and when I want to burn I just type "burn name_of_file.iso".

    I also made one for backup purposes. It makes backing up my files quite easy. All I need to do is open a shell and type "backup" and my home directory is on a CDRW.

    Here's the backup alias (the others are easy enough, but I'll throw them in nonetheless). You can also put in a line to tar and zip your home directory before you use mkisofs to take the iso image if you need to, but I don't use this.

    alias backup='cdrecord blank=fast dev=0,0,0 ;mkisofs -J -r -o /home/me/backup.iso /home/me ;cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0,0 /home/me/backup.iso ;rm -rf /home/me/backup.iso'

    alias blank='cdrecord blank=fast dev=0,0,0'
    alias burn='cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0,0'

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Nice aliases: I'll copy them to a text file and use them!

    The issue with K3B might have something to do with version numbers: there's an 8.1 for woody (and in source) but Sid only has 7.5. (Wierd, eh?)

    If I can get synaptic to unload 7.5 I'll try a source build of 8.1. Fingers crossed!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Built 8.1 and still get the same error.

    Damn thing burns fine from mp3s though.

    Currently waiting for Sourceforge to wake up and send me an account so I can post a bug.

Similar Threads

  1. what to do with.tar.bz2 files?!
    By jehan60188 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 10:08 PM
  2. .sh files
    By Egypt322 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-30-2004, 04:12 PM
  3. iso files
    By pc3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2004, 01:18 PM
  4. rar files
    By wrangler in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-13-2004, 05:14 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-17-2003, 04:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99