Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: can't open /etc/fstab :-(

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298

    can't open /etc/fstab :-(

    I just booted my Knoppix system and it tells me:
    <boot text>
    INIT: version 2.78-knoppix booting
    warning: can't open /etc/fstab: Invalid argument
    warning: can't open /etc/mtab: Invalid argument
    mount: can't find /proc in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
    Loading /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/us.kmap.gz
    after which it hangs

    fsck told me that it removed 3 nodes or something, must be the problem... Can anybody give me hint what to do now?

    I'll boot my Knoppix CD, in an hour or so, I'll take my dinner first.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Hehe, I think I should have told I used the hdinstalled Knoppix

    but anyways, I hope I have fixed it now. I used -more or less- the commands described in FaqResque:
    sudo -s
    mount -o remount,dev /mnt/hda9
    cd /mnt/hda9/etc/
    kedit ./fstab
    It pointed out that both of my CD-ROM players were 'magicaly' added (probably by K3B), and both were mounted at /cdrom. They certainly weren't there the first days booted Knoppix. Since back then I was fiddeling with /etc/fstab and should have noticed that.

    I'll reboot now, and keep you updated

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Didn't work. Same errors...

    Must be something in the bootscripts then? Anybody?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    According to the error message in your first post it's missing the proc file system. Has it been changed in fstab? Has k3b removed it even? It wouldn't surprise me at all. I very much dislike the K3b setup- it wrecked my fstab too, that was the first time I tried to use it, the second time it freaked out trying to copy a cd-I've seen alot of other posts about K3b not working correctly. It has too many bugs for me to use.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Well, actually I don't think it's K3b after all. It's been some time since I ran it, and I've booted succesfully many times since.

    As you can see, everything seems allright:
    # /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
    #
    # filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
    /dev/hda9 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    /dev/hda10 none swap sw 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    #/dev/scd0 /cdrom1 auto defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    #/dev/scd1 /cdrom2 auto defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    # partitions found by Knoppix
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat auto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
    /dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 vfat auto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
    /dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 vfat auto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
    /dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 vfat auto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
    /dev/hda8 /mnt/hda8 vfat auto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0
    #/dev/hda9 /mnt/hda9 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
    I just changed my two cdrom drives to point to /cdrom1 and /cdrom2. And since it still didn't boot I commented them out again.

    btw, should I try changing
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    to
    /proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    [edit]I've searched a bit, and it seems to be correct like it already is...[/edit]

Similar Threads

  1. Problem when moving New Fstab to the Old Fstab to fix Suse
    By cheetahman in forum General Support
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 11:58 AM
  2. /etc/fstab ???
    By ibrewale in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 07:02 AM
  3. help me fix my fstab
    By DimGR in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-29-2004, 04:48 AM
  4. Fstab mounted device, users cant view/open (resolved)
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-02-2004, 04:00 AM
  5. etc/fstab: what should be in it?
    By digiSal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-19-2003, 04:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



(LOT OF 4) Intel Core i5 Processors Different Gens picture

(LOT OF 4) Intel Core i5 Processors Different Gens

$249.99



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD

$27.99



Intel Core I7-7700 SR338 3.60 Ghz Processor picture

Intel Core I7-7700 SR338 3.60 Ghz Processor

$39.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$62.95



AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad picture

AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad

$355.99



Intel Core Ultra 7 265K CPU Desktop Processor LGA 1851 20-Core - New picture

Intel Core Ultra 7 265K CPU Desktop Processor LGA 1851 20-Core - New

$284.79