Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: When Knoppix starts it does not go to GUI interface

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2

    When Knoppix starts it does not go to GUI interface

    Hey guys!
    I have read through most of the forum and I did not find anyone with my problem I must be special anyway when I startup my knoppix sometimes it goes to the GUI login and sometime is only goes to the non grphics login I have used CTRL F7 and F6 to try and go back and forth but it will not change. It worked earlier tonight and then I went back to my windows portion and then tried to go back to my linux portion and I get stuck with just the black and white screen and the GUI seems to not be there at all. But I can login and access files and programs but no graphics.

    If anyone can help that would be greeat....I am new to linux as well but I want to become a pro, so I need it to work.


    Brigid

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    We need more info. I assume this is a HD install of Knoppix. What version? On what hardware? Pentium4-3.0GHz? Pentium3 700Mhz?
    Please tell us the default runlevel. Perform the following at a command line:
    grep default /etc/inittab

    It should output something like
    id:5:initdefault:

    Please tell us yours.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2
    I am running a Pentium 4 processor with 3.2 GHz I have knoppix 3.6

    I still need to run the command

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9
    Did it - nothing . Absolutely nothing - no output.
    The last lines until it asks for login are:

    Starting K display Manager: kdm.
    Not starting X display manager (xdm); it is not the default display manager.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    19

    Did you get it fixed?

    I am having the same problem with a AMD Sempron 1600 and Knoppix 4.02 installed on hard drive.

    Did you resolve this problem?

    Thanks
    Chip

Similar Threads

  1. Remastering: mkisofs problems. Knoppix CDROM suddenly starts
    By GermanJulian in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-27-2006, 03:48 PM
  2. Ethernet interface does not work on HDD Knoppix
    By jjanderson5 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-10-2005, 08:32 AM
  3. Knoppix STD user interface/desktop
    By gonzo in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2005, 05:26 PM
  4. Knoppix with a voice interface?
    By knoppix-accessibility in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-13-2004, 01:26 AM
  5. Knoppix breaks Netgear network interface
    By DBaston in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-31-2004, 11:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R640  8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU

$315.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99