Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: What would Knoppix do in this situatiom...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2

    What would Knoppix do in this situatiom...

    I got a computer with a RAID-5 configuration installed on 3-IDE HDs. The OS on the drives is FreeBSD and the files are presented to Windows boxes across a network as a Samba share using CIFS. If I boot from a Knoppix CD on this computer, what would happen? Specifically, when in Knoppix, would I be able to see the data on the 3-drive RAID-5?

    dec

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    I dunno. Is it HW raid with a raid controller? or is SW raid? If its HW raid then I figure you would have a chance since knoppix or more specifically the linux kernel should have a driver for the raid controller & then you should see it. If it is SW raid then you might be outta luck as I doubt linux handles SW raid the same a FreeBSD handles SW raid.
    I hope someone else knows more about it than me.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for your quick reply.

    Yes its a SW raid controller handled by FreeBSD. The main goal here is to retrieve that data on the RAID-5 that I cannot get to since FreeBSD started failing on its boot process (an improperly dismounted drive - this is an Iomega NAS product).

    Do you think perhaps that a FreeBSIE boot CD may provide more luck for seeing the RAID-5 data?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Yeah definitily try FreeBSIE CD. Have you tried a freebsd mailing list or IRC channel? From what I hear, the FreeBSD-ers are all helpful & quite technically competant.
    I wish you success.
    James

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121 picture

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121

$69.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2 picture

Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2

$135.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11

$334.67