-
Junior Member
registered user
Updating kernel
Hello, I'm trying to update the kernel in the 3.6-B DVD to 2.6.11, and I tried just building it from the source and failed miserably because I'm a total noob. So I was wondering if there's any way I can just install it from the 3.9 CD? Could I just install 3.6-B DVD on my hard drive and then install 3.9 over it? Would that work? Or could I maybe install the 3.9 CD and then use the install software while running from disc command on the 3.6-B disc? Or is there some command that I could put into the console that would install the kernel for me?
Thanks
-Nate
-
Senior Member
registered user
you could go over to the debian site, because knoppix is debian based... and actually download it from there... www.debian.org...
I'll give you a direct link there...
http://packages.debian.org/stable/base/
or you could try apt-get in a shell... but i dont know the exact code for that... hopefully i have been of some assistance...
-
Junior Member
registered user
I just want to be able to easily install the latest kernel. I tried getting 2.6.11.11 off kernel.org, and I followed a guide that showed me how to configure it and compile it and all that, but that didn't work at all, I probably screwed it up because there were tons of errors on the final step. So I guess what I'm looking for is some way to automatically install the 2.6.11.11 kernel. Maybe some script?
Thanks
-Nate
-
Kanotix has a script for kernels but AFAIK they aren't compatible with knoppix. How did you compile the kernel? Something like this?:
Ctrl-Alt-F1
login as: root
init 3 (not needed, but frees some memory for compiling)
cd /usr/src
dselect update
apt-get install linux-kernel-headers (removes the knoppix version)
wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern....11.11.tar.bz2
tar xvjf linux-2.6.11.11.tar.bz2
rm linux
ln -s linux-2.6.11.11 linux
cp /boot/config-2.6.11 linux/.config
cd linux
make oldconfig (hit enter for default answer on questions)
make menuconfig (leave out unneeded stuff for your computer)
make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --append-to-version=-110605 kernel_image (use any date or name)
..
dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.11.11-110605_10.00.Custom_i386.deb
mcedit /boot/grub/menu.lst (check the added part)
reboot to new kernel
Similar Threads
-
By opeer in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-15-2005, 04:23 PM
-
By Trace Green in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-17-2005, 03:19 AM
-
By alphager in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-19-2005, 06:25 AM
-
By Hayabusa in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-19-2003, 11:10 PM
-
By emanuelez in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-31-2003, 09:19 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95