Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: boot only in command line - help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9

    boot only in command line - help

    It happend that I ran an utility and it proposed me several options - working environments.
    I chose one and restarted - now comp boots in command line only.
    I was used only with KDE - coz I passed from XP to Linux - so KDE looked more familiar to me.
    Now I don't know what to do to go back to KDE desktop - I see just a black screen with a command line and no ideea what to type in. I dont even remember what utility I ran - I'm new so I was just experimenting. The line says:
    login:
    password:
    I introduced my root name and the pass.
    Than I tried help and... nothing - I simply do not understand the help.
    I was happy with KDE... and I don't want to go back to XP.
    Can someone help me - it seems stupid, but I don't want to reinstall.
    THX in advance.
    My Knoppix is 3.8

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    See my post here http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=86139#86139. Follow the advice & post the results in this thread.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9
    Ok I'll do it and post the result. THX for your help.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9
    Did it - nothing . Absolutely nothing - no output.
    The last lines until it asks for login are:

    Starting K display Manager: kdm.
    Not starting X display manager (xdm); it is not the default display manager.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9
    Do u need more info?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9
    Nice!!!
    Reading this forum - found a lot of things - made a distribution upgrade in command line.
    Anyway still can't figure out how to start kde.
    Never thought this forum was so complete. Wanted to try linux - now it's more than a try - I forgot about XP.
    But kde was more familiar... I'll keep experimenting. Pls post if u know how can I start to kde.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9
    Does anyone know what was the utility I could have ran - maybe I try to run it from command line and choose the option KDE - I do remember it was the first in the list. So I can go back to KDE.
    I also have 2 bootable cds - 3.4 and 3.8 - right now I have 3.4 and 3.8 at home. maybe I can do something with the 3.4 knoppix cd? I'll boot from it and try to see if there is the same utility - at least to remember the name - than run it from command line - in case it is the same as in 3.8.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9
    Ok - found - it is called Knoppix X-restart. I chose an option under KDE - The K Desktop Environment - don't remember which one exactly. I'll try to start it from command line.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9
    Can't figure out how to do it - any ideea? Tried a lot of things - nothing.

Similar Threads

  1. Command Line Editors
    By vblazier in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-30-2009, 03:51 AM
  2. Wifi From Command Line
    By borgward in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-18-2009, 11:30 AM
  3. DOS Command Line?
    By Mongoose in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-07-2006, 12:23 AM
  4. Knoppix - boot straight to command line?
    By chaosnine in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-17-2005, 07:35 PM
  5. Whats the easiest way to boot to a command line?
    By ExtremeHobo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 12:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8Bay 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 4x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU 1100ws, 2GPUCbl picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8Bay 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 4x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU 1100ws, 2GPUCbl

$660.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1... picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...

$324.99



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99