Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: How to set screen resolution?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    8

    How to set screen resolution?

    I use a pc with 1024X768 monitor, how do I set knoppix to use the whole screen and not part of it?
    complete noob, any help would be loved.thanks.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    8

    Re: How to set screen resolution?

    Quote Originally Posted by Islington
    I use a pc with 1024X768 monitor, how do I set knoppix to use the whole screen and not part of it?
    complete noob, any help would be loved.thanks.
    That was retarded. Clarification:When I run Knoppix it uses only part of my screen, how can I fix this?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    What video card do you have? What monitor do you have? We are unable to help you if we do not know what hardware you have. You've described the symptoms of the problem but we need more info. It sounds like knoppix is doing the best it can at autodetecting the video hardware (perhaps getting it wrong) & then maybe setting a resolution & refresh rate that is either not the native (best) or it is beyond the capabilities of the hardware.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    8

    Solved... maybe..

    Solved the problem by using desktop options to make knoppix use the entire screen, this doesnt seem to have an effect on windows when I reboot without CD, and now as I reboot Knoppix it uses the whole screen.

    There is however one small question at the back of my mind, when booting Knoppix, it gives me a message as such:

    You have passed an undefined mode number:

    giving me the option of hitting <return> to see my choices.
    or<space> to continue
    or wait for 30 seconds.

    upon hitting return I am presented 6 choices or "scan"
    these 6 choices are labeled rowsXcolumns
    typing scan turns off my monitor instead of giving me extra options.

    currently I have been ignoring this and just hitting space, should I be doing something else? should I be worried? I orignally thought that this might be the cause of the orignal problem but as I said before changing the monitor options seems to have worked.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Solved... maybe..

    Quote Originally Posted by Islington
    currently I have been ignoring this and just hitting space, should I be doing something else? should I be worried? I orignally thought that this might be the cause of the orignal problem but as I said before changing the monitor options seems to have worked.
    There shouldbe no problem with that as it is only related to the text mode command line session of linux.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    19
    Did you try adjusting the size and position on the monitor itself? Sometimes monitors set themselves for wacky size and positioning with different screen resolutions.

Similar Threads

  1. Can't get the right screen resolution
    By Darcian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 02:02 AM
  2. Screen resolution
    By Matth in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-12-2004, 08:33 PM
  3. Screen resolution
    By Buck1 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 01:38 AM
  4. Screen Resolution
    By manatarms1775 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 11:27 PM
  5. Screen Resolution
    By Patrick21 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-21-2003, 10:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



Pair ID-COOLING A8-SP3 CPU Heatsink Coolers and AMD EPYC 7601 32 Core Processors picture

Pair ID-COOLING A8-SP3 CPU Heatsink Coolers and AMD EPYC 7601 32 Core Processors

$290.00



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4 picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4

$279.99



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused

$395.95



Dell OptiPlex 7060 Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 8GB RAM 256GB Windows 11 Pro FAST picture

Dell OptiPlex 7060 Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 8GB RAM 256GB Windows 11 Pro FAST

$159.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99