Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Knoppix Hard Drive Format compatibility

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5

    Knoppix Hard Drive Format compatibility

    My computer (AMDXP 2100+, WD HDD, R8500LE, 512RAM) recently had what I think is a low level boot virus, as when I try to boot it says invalid boot.ini file, and then says hal.dll is missing! I have knoppix 3.8.1 and am using this atm to backup important files on the computer. I would rpefer not to remove all data from the disc but if it has to be that then so be it.

    I was just wondering, are HDD formats done in knoppix compatible to load Win98 and WinXP on?

    Also, is there an alternative to this, as in could I restore boot.ini and hal.dll through knoppix without deleting data?

    Note: I only have the backup of WinXP, as the original was lost in a recent move along with lots of other CDs that I don't know how they went missing. Anyway this backup I found out I cannot boot form, but luckily I had purchased Win98SE with boot floppy and I install that to get a boot and then install WinXP over the top of it, hence I need a solution that does not involve the recovery console from the WinXP boot CD!

    Cheers!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Was your windows partition formatted as FAT32 or was it formatted with NTFS. If it is FAT32 then you should have no problem reading & writing to that disk from Knoppix. if it was NTFS then you can only read. You can not write to a NTFS disk partition with Knoppix.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5
    Yes it was FAT32. I found that I can read it (copy and paste folders into usb drive etc.) but I havent tried much else. What I want to do is copy important folders/documents/etc. (which I have done) and now I want to format the hard drive. If I format this hard drive using the knoppix CD (assuming it has fdisk or similar) will it still be able to load windows on it or is it somehow a different format? I know its a silly question as a format should just be a format but I want to make sure. I dont have a problem using linux but family do!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5
    Anyone?

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Phr0stbyt3
    I know its a silly question as a format should just be a format

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5
    Anyway I tried formatting it as follows:

    I got into the root using 'su'

    'fdisk /dev/hda1'
    'd' to delete partition 1
    'n' to create a new partition, 'p' to make it a primary partition. I used default sizes assuming it is the whole disc.
    't' to change type to 'c' [W95 FAT32 (LBA)], then 'w' to write...

    Problem is it says something about an error: 22. And that it cannot read the new table and that the new table will be read on reboot, I tried rebooting both the konsole and the PC to nary avail!

    Help on re-formatting the hard drive please someone? anyone?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    try mkdosfs /dev/hda1 which should at least create something Windows is happy to format.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5
    That didn't work, it said it;s trying to create too large a file system or something, keep in mind the hard drive is 80GB which I'd warrant is alot more than DOS knows!

  9. #9
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Phr0stbyt3
    ...hard drive is 80GB which I'd warrant is alot more than DOS knows!
    DOS (at least the version that lives under Win98se) can see 80 gig and larger partitions just fine.

Similar Threads

  1. Format Your Hard Drive>HOW?
    By listerofsmeg in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-27-2006, 10:56 AM
  2. I can't format my hard drive, can i do it with knoppix?
    By johnnymoha in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 07:09 AM
  3. How can I format my hard drive?
    By welsh_boy01 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 10:24 PM
  4. Can I format C drive with Knoppix?
    By janggu in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-20-2004, 02:21 AM
  5. how do you format a hard drive from knoppix?
    By likwid in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 03:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GORF Atari/Roklan 400/800 Cartridge Brand New In Box picture

GORF Atari/Roklan 400/800 Cartridge Brand New In Box

$48.00



GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats picture

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats

$35.00



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS picture

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS

$16.95



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical  - USA Seller picture

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller

$29.99



Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI picture

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI

$44.00



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25