-
Knoppix Hard Drive Format compatibility
My computer (AMDXP 2100+, WD HDD, R8500LE, 512RAM) recently had what I think is a low level boot virus, as when I try to boot it says invalid boot.ini file, and then says hal.dll is missing! I have knoppix 3.8.1 and am using this atm to backup important files on the computer. I would rpefer not to remove all data from the disc but if it has to be that then so be it.
I was just wondering, are HDD formats done in knoppix compatible to load Win98 and WinXP on?
Also, is there an alternative to this, as in could I restore boot.ini and hal.dll through knoppix without deleting data?
Note: I only have the backup of WinXP, as the original was lost in a recent move along with lots of other CDs that I don't know how they went missing. Anyway this backup I found out I cannot boot form, but luckily I had purchased Win98SE with boot floppy and I install that to get a boot and then install WinXP over the top of it, hence I need a solution that does not involve the recovery console from the WinXP boot CD!
Cheers!
Similar Threads
-
By listerofsmeg in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-27-2006, 10:56 AM
-
By johnnymoha in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 9
Last Post: 04-09-2005, 07:09 AM
-
By welsh_boy01 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-10-2005, 10:24 PM
-
By janggu in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 6
Last Post: 10-20-2004, 02:21 AM
-
By likwid in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-07-2004, 03:52 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$13.99

BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD
$169.99

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

W&T 50519 Pure.box 3 USB Linux Thin Client Industrial PC Embedded Server
$135.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server
$100.00

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99